Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teejayr
Reel Rookie

Youtube goes black regardless on home screen or playing a video

A few months ago YouTube would black out until a button was pressed regardless on the main screen or playing a video. It was a known issue and eventually it was fixed, but after the update on 11/1, Roku broke it again. Can we get this issue fixed and how do we disable the auto update because the developers aren't doing their due diligence in testing before releasing?

7 REPLIES 7
DSchreiber
Reel Rookie

Re: Youtube goes black regardless on home screen or playing a video

I've been having that issue too. Hoping someone will come along and offer a solution that I haven't tried!

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Teejayr @DSchreiber

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community regarding the issue you've encountered with YouTube.

Let's try to troubleshoot this issue for a fix. Kindly follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel."
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

If the issue persists, kindly keep us posted and provide us with more details, including an image referring to the black screen issue you've seen with the YouTube channel.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Teejayr
Reel Rookie

Hello Kash,

Removed and readded as requested. 2 out of 3 of my Roku has this issue. 

Before and after pic. Typically 2-6 seconds is when it goes black. 

PXL_20231106_190524642.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20231106_190527778.MP~2.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Teejayr,

Thank you for keeping us updated here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with your issue on your YouTube channel. Please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting check for updates.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DSchreiber
Reel Rookie

Thank you for replying.  I've tried all those steps, many times....nothing changes.  An image? It's simply a black screen.

Darlene

0 Kudos
Teejayr
Reel Rookie

I did check for an update and there wasn't one which I figured since reinstalling the app would install the latest version. Are the developers aware of this issue?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DSchreiber @Teejayr,

Thanks for letting us know about this here in the Community!

We understand you're having a problem with streaming YouTube. If the issue persists on one channel after attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, we suggest that you contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. In this case, an issue within that specific channel likely needs to be addressed with an update from them. You can reach out to them by checking out this contact list.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos