Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rusticmountain
Reel Rookie

Youtube Requires Gmail Account

Jump to solution

My family USED to login to the Youtube app with our own emails to keep our accounts separate. Exactly the same way Youtube works on Android and through the web browser. We are currently getting a new Youtube app 'update' rolled out across our devices. Now we are FORCED to login using a Gmail account exclusively. We don't have gmail accounts and nor do we want to open an account just for the Youtube Roku app. Who made this change and if this is the way it's going to stay, we will be pitching our 5 Roku devices in the trash. I want the ability to use our existing Youtube accounts and emails associated with those accounts. Alternatives? Options?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Youtube Requires Gmail Account

Jump to solution

@rusticmountain 

Roku does not develop the YouTube app for Roku devices.  Google develops the YouTube app (as was stated by @Strega and @OwnerofDevices).  I’d suggest contacting YouTube Help here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X

View solution in original post

rusticmountain
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. Will do. Question closed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The YouTube apps is developed by Google, so you’ll want to talk to them about anything they did or anything they might do in the future.  I’ve never logged into anything, gmail or otherwise, on that app,  but it’s been months since I’ve used it so something might have changed.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Youtube is owned by Google and I am not being forced by Google to login with a Gmail account on my 3 roku televisions.

rusticmountain
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree. Is there a link for messaging that behemoth? Not that they would care. Roku is the only place I could find to vent. I haven't seen anyone pushing back against the digital tyranny.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rusticmountain 

Roku does not develop the YouTube app for Roku devices.  Google develops the YouTube app (as was stated by @Strega and @OwnerofDevices).  I’d suggest contacting YouTube Help here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
rusticmountain
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. Will do. Question closed.

0 Kudos