Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nalindhar

Youtube English Audio unavailable with surround sound 5.1

Movies that have multiple language audio tracks available in youtube, when playing on roku tv with surround sound 5.1 option chosen, English audio track becomes unavailable, doesn't appear in list. Multiple people are reporting this issue.

When in youtube mobile app on android no such issue seems to be there as surround sound option not available. 

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Youtube English Audio unavailable with surround sound 5.1

It's not clear what you're saying, but this would be Youtube's issue, not Roku's.  Roku devices do have limited support for the multitude of audio codecs, so that may have something to do with it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

What the person is say is when 5.1 surround sound in selected in the Youtube app the English language option is no longer available.  Doesn't matter what device you're using i.e. Roku, Shield TV, etc...... 

Derek151
Reel Rookie

Yes. This is happening exactly as described. Watch an American movie like Jurassic Park and it's in dubbed Spanish. Go to audio tracks setting and only non-english dubbed languages available. Original language option not available. It's broken. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Derek151

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community. 

We'd like to know more about the issue you are facing. What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
Please let us know any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Derek151
Reel Rookie

Title bought: Jurrasic Park 1993

Attempted to watch but the movie started in Spanish. Went to audio settings to adjust language. No option for English original only options were for other languages. Unable to resolve. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Derek151

Thanks for the reply. 

Could you try to remove/unplug your surround sound and see if there's any difference after? How about streaming other movies/series on other channels, do you experience the same issue? Or this is only limited when streaming on Youtube?

Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
ddavis538
Reel Rookie

It is NOT a hardware issue. I have the same problem. I opened the YouTube app, navigated to my purchased movies, and selected a movie (Jurassic Park) to watch. When the movie started playing, it was dubbed in German. Going into the settings for the video, no English track is available, and Surround Sound 5.1 has a check mark in the box next to it. After turning off Surround Sound 5.1 (this removing the check mark), it reverts back to English audio. Turning Surround Sound 5.1 back on results in going back to German dubbed audio, no English audio option available. This is clearly a software issue. When attempting to watch the video on any other device (NOT ROKU), it plays in English. 

Hawkwingate
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue but I do not have surround sound there is no English option I even tried to stream it from my phone to the tv and it still plays in French. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@ddavis538 @Hawkwingate 

Thanks for your post. 

Is this an isolated issue on the Youtube TV channel? Have you tried to remove the channel and see if it helps? If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and re-install it. 

To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Does this help? Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos