Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: YouTube not working on ROKU

Jump to solution

@sierradane wrote:

One of the "fixes" for this ongoing problem is to simply set the Theme back to default.  

What I'd like to know.... why is ROKU continuously setting my Theme to whatever is going on at the time, which for now it's the Olympics... which my husband and I never watch.  I set the Theme back to Default, and youtube now works.  That is, after I rebooted the RoKU after setting the Theme back to Default.

Leave the Theme alone Roku!  Stop changing our Themes when we have it set to default!!

Try disabling Seasonal Themes:  Settings/Theme/Seasonal themes=off

(this will eliminate most but not all theme/wallpaper/screensaver/UI changes)

As to why this works for some (model/usage dependent), the likely short version is:

Roku OS/app (themes/screensavers/etc are really apps) upgrades use more memory with each version, which leaves less room for other apps to run, because they all have to fit into the same hardware memory space (which cant be increased), so using "simpler" OS apps (themes/wallpapers/screensavers/etc) with smaller memory usage allows other larger apps (like YT/YTTV or Apple TV or AirPlay) to run.

(YT/YTTV and ATV and AP are particularly susceptible because they all use other hidden external app modules when they run, so its like loading two apps instead of one)

This "theme/screensaver/etc" simplifying technique works better on older models with less memory, and not as well (or at all) on newer devices with more memory (hence the other entries on the list of solutions/workarounds).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sierradane
Level 9

Jump to solution

It's my thinking that the YOUTUBE WON'T LOAD ON ROKU issue that is fixed by disabling Themes, keeping themes to default... THAT is a bug that ROKU needs to fix.  

StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

@sierradane wrote:

It's my thinking that the YOUTUBE WON'T LOAD ON ROKU issue that is fixed by disabling Themes, keeping themes to default... THAT is a bug that ROKU needs to fix.  

Your thinking is correct - its their issue to address, bug or not: they should start selling all devices with more memory and/or be more efficient with memory usage/management, including being more restrictive of the memory usage of active apps.

You can always let them know your mind:

chat/email/phone -      https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options       

(choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

BR99
Level 7

Jump to solution

Disabling the Themes on my Roku now loads YouTube correctly and its responsive again.
i.e. The Change Worked!

I have multiple Roku's so I will make change on all of the devices and test results.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

@BR99 wrote:

Disabling the Themes on my Roku now loads YouTube correctly and its responsive again.
i.e. The Change Worked!

I have multiple Roku's so I will make change on all of the devices and test results.

Thats good feedback - just remember it may not work with all models, so try the rest of the list for those devices.

You could/should use the list whenever apps wont open or immediately close to home upon opening, especially after any firmware updates.

0 Kudos
Icymole
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's been 5 days since YouTube app on My roku is not loading/starting it will shutdown instantly after I click on the app. Plz  find a solution soon as possible plz . This is the app the is not working , other app does work.

Roku TV: 8511X

Roku model : RTR3261 -B -CA

Device ID : KK4883371652

Youtube Version 2.21 • build 94005076

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Icymole

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Have you already tried removing the channel, restarting the device, and then adding the channel back again?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bkengland
Level 8

Jump to solution

My sense is that setting the theme to default is the key, actually. For sure, unless Roku knows otherwise, this step should be included in the general advice for things to try. Otherwise, we all could continue to go around in circles. In my case, the device has been behaving since a week or so ago, but I did set my theme and clock to default anyway the other day. If nothing else, I was more than happy to see the Olympics theme go. When the Olympians comes to watch me do community work, I'll consider caring about their competitions. 😉

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

@bkengland

The "default theme" solution/workaround depends on the model and its configuration (as do most of the items on the list), but yes, the list is very effective, and it is a "general advice" list based on and developed from specific known workarounds/solutions created for the express purpose of addressing "apps not loading" or "apps dumping to home upon opening", which often occurs after major firmware version updates.

Your (and other users') feedback about the specific solution that worked for you is much appreciated, considering the list is generated from and tweaked based upon such feedback, which also helps other users specifically and generally.

0 Kudos
Foosresearch
Level 7

Jump to solution

Usually deleting and reinstalling youtube works, but no more, YouTube says error about account not available try later and freezes. Have checked for system updates and unplugged roku and TV but no worky. Roku Premiere 3920X, sn YHOO2Y624468. Al Foos cusanusnicolas@gmail.com 

0 Kudos