Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimothyHall
Reel Rookie

YouTube TV thinks I am in another country and is blocked

I have a Roku ultra - I am not using any kind of VPN, and yet for some reason I lost the ability to watch YouTube TV - when I launch it on the Ultra I can see the show thumbnails, but get a message that says “Playback Error, YouTube TV is unavailable in this country, 2: PRP9 00ZR 4SAX, Please send feedback to help us resolve this issue”. I am in California, and could always watch YouTube TV until sometime last week when this problem started. I am able to watch it on my iPad however. My roommate is also having this issue on his Chromecast and on his Roku television. I contacted Comcast (our internet provider) they could not explain this. Can you please help? PS.. the Ultra is wired directly to Ethernet while the iPad is connecting wirelessly to the same network. And while the iPad CAN view YouTube TV DIRECTLY, when I try casting it to the Ultra it gives the same error.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube TV thinks I am in another country and is blocked

Did you send the feedback to Google/Youtube?  That's what was meant by that message.

Have you tried restarting everything - gateway/modem/router and Roku?

Usually your IP address is used to indicate your location.  You can check what yours is indicating by going to https://www.iplocation.net/ .

P.S. - if you're using the Youtube TV channel/app and not accessing it through the regular Youtube channel/app you might want to give the regular Youtube channel a try.  If you do have the Youtube TV channel/app, don't remove it!  You won't be able to get it back if you do.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TimothyHall
Reel Rookie

I already tried everything in your reply; restarting everything, Checking my IP, and on google I did a "where am I" search. 

Besides, as already mentioned I am able to get YouTube TV on my iPad. But not when I CAST YouTube TV over to the roku ultra to view on the bigger screen. 

That method, or using the roku ultra directly, with even having the iPad in the mix.

Both present with the same issue, thinking I am in the wrong country.

But it works otherwise - on the iPad by itself, on my computer, on my cell phone, etc. So that should prove that my network is not the issue. PS: ALL MY DIVICES ARE ON THE EXACT SAME NETWORK.

Argh!! It's weird.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You wouldn't happen to be in Alabama with an IP address that was previously located in the Marshall Islands, are you?  (Different thread Smiley Happy )

Definitely weird.  I've heard YouTube/Google's customer service is terrible, but they're really the ones that should figure it out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TimothyHall
Reel Rookie

Nope. I'm in California.

My roommate is having the same issues as I am, he has been in communications with Google for the last few days. Everyone, Google, roku, Comcast.. They all think one of the other three are to blame for this issue.

They all agree on one thing though.

It's weird.

There was a new development however. As I told you earlier, when I said the iPad seemed to be immune from this issue..? Well, I was in the middle of watching msnbc on it when it suddenly stopped in the middle of the show, the screen went black and the same message about being in the wrong country locked me out.

But now, a few hours later, I can once again get in! Unfortunately not the same for the roku ultra - I am still blocked on the roku.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TimothyHall

Thanks for the posts.

As @renojim mentioned, for more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jlombardo

I found the solution . Go to location settings on the Roku YouTube App. Then click playback location. Then go to your phone and login to youtubetv.com/verify . 
the phone will update your Location on your tv. 

BeeJay6078

Thank you so much for posting how to resolve this problem!!! I just returned from being out of town for several days to find my YouTubeTV giving me this exact same message.  Same problem - worked on my laptop but not on my Roku TV. I also tried all of the options the initial poster said he/she tried with the same lack of success. Your method to resolve the problem was SPOT ON!! I have my YouTubeTV back on!! Thank you so much!!!

0 Kudos