Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bajump

Re: YouTube TV takes 8 seconds to change channels

I went through the steps (remove channel, restart, add channel), and there is still a delay.  My internet connection is strong, and I don’t have any issues streaming.  Just the annoying delay changing channels.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

So this thread popped up cause someone posted on. It’s a year old. I go through all the comments including those of Mods. I currently subscribe to YouTube TV. It’s  one of my main sources of entertainment. But absolutely no one can answer what’s going on properly so let me take the reins. First of all YouTube TV is developed my Google not Roku. so the issue primarily lies within Google itself. But the main factor that nobody has yet to look at is the dissimilar hardware that each Roku device comes with. doesn’t matter if it’s a Roku TV or a Roku streaming device itself. A Roku Express does not have have the same hardware and features as a Roku Ultra. A Roku Stick 4K does not have The same hardware as a Roku Ultra. There’s a price difference for a reason. By hardware I mean what’s inside the device such as CPU, GPU and RAM. When it comes to Roku TV’s it’s the same. They come in different sizes and different series. I have 2 TCL Roku TV’s. One 32” and one 65”. They are both made by TCL and they are both running the same Roku operating system. But both have different hardware inside. The 65 inch has a faster processor. Therefore it can do more things faster than my 32”. I have six Roku devices all together. 3 Stick 4K, 1 Roku Ultra and 2 Roku TV’s. Opening up the YouTube TV channel takes more time on my 32” then my 65”. As a matter of fact opening up any channel takes longer on the 32”. Why? Because my 65 inch has superior hardware than a 32 inch. Scrolling through the networks on YouTube TV on my 32” is slower Then when I do the same on my 65 5 inchthen when I do the same on my 65 inch. Same goes when I compare my Sticks to my Ultra. I’ve never experienced an eight second delay while scrolling networks or changing them on any of my devices using YouTube TV. But the 32” is definitely slower then the 65”. Unless you have two different Roku devices you cannot duplicate what I mentioned. And by different I mean one top-of-the-line and one budget one. There. All explained first hand. Hope this helps.

In a nutshell if you think that YouTube TV is Performing slow on your Roku Express or budget TV then that is normal 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an issue on a roku 2020 with a strong connection. Yes it's a Google service, but app performance on different devices influences purchasing decisions and platform choices.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, I appreciate the troubleshooting steps, but still is delayed.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@Anonymous  did you even read anything I said? Exactly which real cool model do you have? It helps to elaborate and you can always edit your post. In a previous post you said it’s a 2020 altrube but that it doesn’t explain anything. You could’ve bought it in 2020 but it was designed and made before that. It’s an older generation. What is the model number and when did you purchase it and from where? Also do you have it hooked up with ethernet or Wi-Fi? Did you try both? I have my Ultra on ethernet. 500 Mbps. You say you have a strong connection but you’re not providing enough details. Run a check connection test on your Roku. What does it say for signal strength and speed

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

4800X hardwired with 300 mbps. Your condescending comments don't help anything. I'll be keeping my replies to people that want to actually help solve the problem and not trying to sound smart with irrelevant commentary to the issue at hand. 

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I am not being condescending but unless you get full details people cannot fully help you. When did you purchase it? When you do a check connection test what are your results? I asked you a bunch of questions and you have not answered me. Your Roku is basically over 2 year old and out of warranty. My Ultra is the 4800R. That’s the most recent version. It’s running Roku OS 10.5. YouTube TV version 2.21 build 94005571. I ran a check connection test and it is getting 189 Mbps. Keep in mind that The network cards are in a Roku are limited. And everything I do on it opens up instantaneously including scrolling through networks on YouTube TV. If I could upload a video I would

0 Kudos
roblove
Channel Surfer

@TrooperDada326, Thanks for sharing your extensive Roku findings.

As posted earlier in this thread, I have a current Roku Express 4k+ model 3941x which has the same ARM Cortex A55 CPU as your Ultra, but RAM is 1gb instead of Ultra 2 gb. Express 4k+ runs  wireless only & Roku measures 182 Mbps download speed. Roku OS 10.5 w/ latest YouTube TV 2.21 ver. build 94005571. I installed (& removed/ re-installed per Roku proper trouble-shooting protocol). I still get 7-8 sec. delay when changing YouTube TV channels. TV is an older 50" 1080p Pioneer plasma. HDMI cable used is one shipped w/ Roku Express 4k+.

Hardware specs:  https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

0 Kudos
IdiotBastard
Binge Watcher

@TrooperDada326: Your (long) reply completely ignores the fact that most of us experiencing this 8-second lag when changing channels were absolutely fine (no lag) as recently as two-three weeks ago.  Therefore, it cannot be attributable to hardware deficiencies.  But thanks anyway.

0 Kudos