Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: YouTube TV playback issues

Hi everyone,

To avoid further confusion in this thread, if you are experiencing an issue related to an error on screen stating that ""Can't run channel. Needs to be reinstalled to the network" please see this thread, as this thread is related to Youtube playback issues.

If you are experiencing an issue with the Youtube channel, we would first always recommend users to try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-Rwrote:...try removing the channel from the Roku home screen ... Then restart your device ... add the channel back once more. 

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Hi, Danny!

After going through that process, I'm still getting the same behavior. When I try to view a recorded show in YT TV's library, the spinner appears ad infinitum on the screen. All other features work fine.

When I searched for the YT TV app, the only version offered is 2.21.94005576 (which I'm guessing is 2.21 build 94005576--the same as the one that was already there. I don't understand why the Channel Store didn't offer 2.22.105005546, which is what my Roku Ultra is running.

I did discover that if I navigate to a show through the Live Guide and the show is partially, recorded, the Roku Express will allow me to "Start from beginning," which means playback from the library. However, I still am unable to start a show through the Library.

Are you able to find get the needed information from my other messages in this thread? Or do you need for me to recap? ...thanks!

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MikeyInSoCal  Roku does not control YouTube TV. I use YouTube TV daily. I have zero issues with it across all my Roku devices. Your recordings are stored in the cloud and have absolutely nothing to do with your Roku device. Your Roku express in your Roku ultra are two different devices. You’re Roku express is slower and only can run on the 2.4 GHz network. The Ultra is dual band and runs on the 5.0 GHz faster network. Run a check connection test on both your Roku devices. What does it say for speed test in Mbps? 
The Roku channel store version of YouTube TV is 2.21.9400576 dated April 20, 2022. That is the last time Google has updated the channel. I’m not sure where your getting that other version from. You’re comparing apples to oranges. My 32” TCL Roku TV is slower than my 65” TCL Roku TV. That’s normal. All my Roku devices are running the same version of YouTube TV that is featured in the channel store.  You’re trying to compare a $30 Roku vs a $100 Roku. That would be like my wanting my $200 Roku TV to perform as well as my $600 Roku TV. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MikeyInSoCal  Google is aware of the issue. They acknowledge it on there end. 

https://gizmodo.com/rokus-latest-update-reportedly-breaks-the-youtube-tv-ap-1848104825

0 Kudos
MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-Rwrote:.. we would first always recommend users to try removing the channel from the Roku home screen ... add the channel back once more.

As I noted in my other message, I did as you instructed. This morning, I discovered that apparently removed YT TV from my Roku Ultra and readded it. My spouse was upset because YT TV was at the bottom of the list, and all sign-ins for YT TV were gone and had to be redone.

Is this expected behavior? If so, it would be handy to alert us of this consequence. I was not expecting this. ...thanks!

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MikeyInSoCal  If all your Roku devices are linked under one account then whenever you do to one Roku device will sync to the other one. Once you re add YouTube TV then it will add it to the Ultra too. No biggie. But you need to take the advice that I suggested. Have you performed those test that I mentioned about checking your connection? 
all you had to do was take the YouTube TV and move it back up into position where you originally had it and then login. what what you experienced is completely normal because you’re Roku express and you’re Roku ultra are under the same Roku account. whatever you do to one Roku’s syncs  across all the others

0 Kudos
MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

You've pasted that information into a message to me before. There's no need to keep putting it in my face.

The fact is that YT TV works properly on one Roku and does not on another. It used to work properly on both, and only stopped working properly on the second device at the beginning of this week.

The Gizmodo article is nearly six months old. See my previous comment about when the issue developed.

0 Kudos
MikeyInSoCal
Binge Watcher

I noted my connection information in another message. Summary: it's good.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MikeyInSoCal  YouTube TV is developed by Google. They are responsible for how the channel works. Your recordings are stored in the  cloud and have nothing to do with your Roku . You’re Roku express and ultra are two different devices. You cannot compare eight $30 Roku’s verse a $100 Roku. Run a check connection test on your Roku express and your Roku ultra. What does it say for each in Mbps? Are both the same distance from the router? There is an anything Roku’s can do to control what happens in the YouTube TV channel.  A good connection doesn’t mean anything you need a run a check connection test and it will give you a actual speed rating

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MikeyInSoCal  I gave you examples earlier of my situation. There is a big performance difference between my 32 inch Roku TV and my 65 inch Roku TV. There is nothing for Roku to fix to help your recordings on YouTube TV. Not sure what you expect them to fix. I know that my 32 inch cannot perform like my 65 inch and I want to expect the two of them to perform the same 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.