Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markey

YouTube TV DVR hangs on playback

I have one Roku Express that will play a recorded show and a second Roku Express that will not play the same recording.  The recording was done with YouTubeTV.  The Roku Express that allows the recording to playback is closer to the router than the other, so I switched the Roku Express devices.  The trouble followed the same Roku Express, even though it was now located closer to the router and I had no issue at all playing the recording on the Roku Express that was now located farther away from the router.   The Roku Express that allows playback is at least a couple years older than the Roku Express that does not allow playback.   Additionally, YouTubeTV allows for other versions to be played and none of these would play back either on the one newer Roku Express.  

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: YOUTUBE TV DVR hangs on playback

Hello @markey

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
CD82
Reel Rookie

I followed all the steps you outlined and still the show recordings will not play.  Recordings from other channels will play.  The channel that will not play the recordings is NBC.  So frustrating!

0 Kudos
CD82
Reel Rookie

I did all the steps as well but the problem continues with shows recorded from NBC.  Other recordings from other channels all work great.  So frustrating as I believe it is not youtube TV or nothing would playback. Help!

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @CD82

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Do you encounter any error messages? Are all the other streaming channels operating normally? How long has the issue existed and what troubleshooting done to resolve the issue?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you better.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
jhmosow
Binge Watcher

For me, I never get an error message. It just keeps spinning. The problem is on more channels than not. I have had the problem for about a year but worked with YouTube TV support on the issue. After several months of providing logs and screenshots, they determined the problem was not on their side.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I use the LG TV YouTube TV app, I have no problems on the same TV.

0 Kudos
CD82
Reel Rookie

It is only on the Roku express on the youtube TV DVR..  I deleted youtube tv app.  Then restarted the roku. and did system update.  I then reinstalled the youtube TV app and the problem still exists with the NBC channel. I also did channel update for youtube TV and it said it was up to date. All the other DVR recording on youtube TV app work fine.  It is so frustrating!

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @jhmosow@CD82

Thank you for your post.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the -Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
kmunge22
Reel Rookie

This is not just a Roku express issue. My issue happens with regularity with the TCL Roku 55US5800.

Doesn't happen with my other newer Roku 43 or my Android based Hisense so that makes it even more frustrating to pinpoint but much of my DVR stuff will sit on the LOADING screen and just do nothing.

Some I can FFWD to get them to initiate and others just never work.

It's very frustrating and I am guessing it's something to do with the particular tvs software and RAM and ability to work the app itself.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @kmunge22

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Does the issue only occur on specific content within The YouTube TV Channel? Also, if you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and then reinstall it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos