Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Name-Taken-Alas
Channel Surfer

YouTube Not Playing - Goes Black

As of October 19, 2023, Roku’s YouTube app starts up but goes black after a several seconds on the main YouTube screen or after choosing a video to play. If you click the OK button on the remote, the screen comes back up for several seconds before going black again. We tested about 10 other channels and all worked fine. We checked to be sure the Roku had the latest update. We unplugged the Roku and plugged it back in. We did a full reset. The WiFi speed is fine. The Roku TV in another room still plays YouTube without a problem.

It is a #3941RW Roku Express 4K+. The software version is 12.5.0 build 4175-CR. 

15 REPLIES 15
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube Not Playing - Goes Black

Hi @Name-Taken-Alas,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for posting.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and we'd like to provide you with assistance. Let's perform a channel clean-up troubleshooting step to resolve the issue. Kindly follow the instructions below:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel".
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

After performing these steps, kindly observe if you notice any improvements.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Name-Taken-Alas
Channel Surfer

Thank you. Before I posted, we had already tried that three times. We also tried unplugging the Roku several different times. We also tried changing various settings that we didn’t think probably made any difference (they had been fine before), but we were trying to find a solution - different screen sizes, etc. We reset it and had to redo our settings and reinstall all our apps, as well. We tried everything we could think of. We’d love more suggestions. 

Oh, I did try it again, though, but no change.

Name-Taken-Alas
Channel Surfer

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Name-Taken-Alas!

We appreciate it, and we'll communicate this to the appropriate Roku team. We'll need your help. Could you share with us the details below?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

We'll be anticipating it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Name-Taken-Alas
Channel Surfer

Model: 3941X2 Roku Express 4K+
(also happened with 3941RW)

Serial: X02300RJMVGJ (also X01600KMLCYA)

Device ID: S0HAK37JMVGJ (also S0AH21AMLCYA)

Software: 12.5.0 build 4175-E4 (also 12.5.0 build 4175-CR)

Tracker ID: It was uncooperative but I finally got something. See below.

0 Kudos
Name-Taken-Alas
Channel Surfer

I finally got an ID: GJ-426-070

Another is: GJ-426-072

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Name-Taken-Alas,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

Please be aware that we have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
b2conn
Channel Surfer

Re: YouTube Not Playing - Goes Black = EXPRESS 4k

Possible resolution:  I had same issue.  It's the Express 4k!  NOTE:  I swapped out my Express 4k (Model 3941X, software ver 12.5.0, build 4178-CR) for my old Roku 3 on my same LG tv, same HDMI cord, same remote as was for the Express 4k.  IT WORKS FINE!  NO ISSUES (although a little slower).   More notes:  I had also tried clearing cache, remove & re-install the Youtube app, reboot everything, and all in specific steps as outlined in other posts here = nada.

So ROKU techs:  it's your Express 4k that is messing up with Youtube.  Why is that?  Why ONLY Youtube when using the Express 4k and no other channels seem to be affected.  I hope this gives you a clue as to what to look into.  I'd rather use the Express 4k, but at least my Roku 3 works!
Thank you for 'listening'.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube Not Playing - Goes Black = EXPRESS 4k

Hi @b2conn,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused you. That is not what we aim for. Would you mind giving us the information posted above by @RokuERey that is needed to investigate further on this issue?

Once we have this information, we'll be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team.

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos