Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janovak1
Level 7

You Tube TV Question on channel changing

I have an older Roku device and when watching YouTube TV changing channels is extremely slow.  Is this the norm or will a newer Roku be quicker?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: You Tube TV Question on channel changing

@janovak1 

Probably. It would help if you told us which device you had. Some older but high end Roku devices still work very well, meaning you might not see much improvement, depending on which device you have. Model number would help. Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
janovak1
Level 7

Thank you for the response.  The Roku Player is model# 4210X.  The Signal Strength is listed as Excellent; however, the Internet Download Speed is only 2mbps.  It is on Wireless Channel 1.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@janovak1-

2 mbps is awfully low.

This has always worked for me to re-establish my net connection when it has been lost or not performing well:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

If your network speed is still very low, perhaps the WiFi channel your router is using is very crowded with usage by other nearby routers.  If you have access to the router's control panel, try changing to a different channel.  In the 2.4 GHz range that you are using, channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and thus give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using other channels may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
janovak1
Level 7

Thank you for the reply and suggestions.  I have taken all the steps recommended.  On my laptop, Channel 11 has the best Internet Download Speed (65mbps).  However, on the Roku it is still at 2mbps and I have not noticed any change in performance.  For the most part, the Roku works just fine, I am able to stream HBOMax, Netflix and other apps without too many problems, only an occasional stutter.  My confusion is when I use YouTube TV, changing channels is extremely slow.  Not sure what dictates that(?).  I have Amazon Firesticks on two other TVs and the YouTube TV app works much quicker on them.  The Roku is on my main TV and I do not want to change to a Firestick as I can control the Roku with my Master Remote; it cannot control a Firestick.  That is why I was wondering if a newer model Roku would have better performance.  I guess I could pick one up at Best Buy, try it, and return it if no improvement is seen.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@janovak1 

If you've followed the suggestions of @makaiguy then I really don't have much more to offer.

The Roku model 4210 is a Roku 2, but it is identical to a Roku 3, at least on the inside. The only thing that makes it a Roku 2 and not a Roku 3 is the casing has a "2" on it instead of a "3" and it came with an IR remote instead of a WiFi Direct remote. The device itself is a Roku 3. It will work with the WiFi Direct remotes that came with Roku 3.

The Roku 3 device (and your Roku 2 by extension) was top of the line in its day. Yes, it is indeed an older device, and I would expect you to get many years of service from it. And, quite honestly, you have. That's not to say you should expect it to have reached end of life, but it is possible the device may be in line for replacing.

I don't have any suggestion regarding YouTube TV. I don't use the service, but don't recall having any issues with switching channels. It may be the app, but right now isn't a good time to do the old Remove/Reboot/Reinstall process for YouTube TV. Instead, launch the YouTube app, then scroll down to the YouTube TV option in the left side menu and try watching that way. Does it make a difference?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

janovak1
Level 7

That is the way that I have been accessing YouTube TV.  Thank you for the reponse.  It appears that the slow channel changing is something I will just live with.  It is not terrible, just so much slower than the Amazon Firestick I have on other TVs.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@janovak1 

They didn't even make Fire Sticks when the Roku 3 came out in 2013. I suspect you have a Fire Stick from a much more recent year than 2014 (when Fire Stick was first introduced).

While the Roku 3 (which is what you really have inside the case) was a great device in its day, a newer Roku would run circles around it. Still, if you can get more use out of it, stick with it as long as you can.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
janovak1
Level 7

Does this make any sense?  I noticed in Advanced Settings that the ability to do "mirroring" was enabled. I do not use this feature, so, I disabled it.  Since then, the Roku performance is much much better(?)

0 Kudos