Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LCB23

X-Files series no longer Free to watch

Jump to solution

I've been watching X-Files series on FreeVee and its no longer there!  What happened?  I shouldn't have to pay for it on Disney or Hulu!!!!  Can anyone help???

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: X-Files series no longer Free to watch

Jump to solution

FreeVee (actually Amazon, it's owner) owns little or none of the programming on FreeVee, especially the older stuff, but they license it from the shows' various owners.  Licenses come and go.  Some expire and new ones are acquired.

X-Files was a Fox property.  Disney acquired 20th Century Fox Entertainment in 2019.   So it may not be too much of a surprise for Disney not to renew the X-Files lease on FreeVee where it can be viewed for free and only maintain it on Disney-controlled Disney+ and Hulu, and on other services where it rented generating revenue of which Disney gets a cut.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

FreeVee (actually Amazon, it's owner) owns little or none of the programming on FreeVee, especially the older stuff, but they license it from the shows' various owners.  Licenses come and go.  Some expire and new ones are acquired.

X-Files was a Fox property.  Disney acquired 20th Century Fox Entertainment in 2019.   So it may not be too much of a surprise for Disney not to renew the X-Files lease on FreeVee where it can be viewed for free and only maintain it on Disney-controlled Disney+ and Hulu, and on other services where it rented generating revenue of which Disney gets a cut.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Rouxbi2

Jump to solution

There should have been a warning of some sort... e.g. this series will no longer be available after *date*... I prefer not to pay to watch re-runs - and the other options require pay-by-episode or pay-by-season. I was just catching up on x-files but only made it though half of season 4. I am seriously 😞 disappointed!

Gemstar

Jump to solution

We are pissed off. x Files gone in the middle of the series

0 Kudos