Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i add Facebook app to my Roku?

Jump to solution

Need step by step directions to add facebook app to my Roku

0 Kudos
Fivefri

Re: Facebook Video (cast) and/or Screen Mirroring - Corona Virus era (Android or Windows - MS Surfac

Jump to solution

On my Samsung phone, there's a function called Smartview which allows me to cast anything from my phone to the TV via Roku. I believe you just need to enable screen mirroring on the Roku first. Works great for us!

0 Kudos
Kjstech
Streaming Star

Re: Facebook

Jump to solution

There's a little something called "incentive".  Sure Roku doesn't write the apps, but they could incentivize facebook and even collaborate with them on it.

The other problem is Apple and Facebook for iOS.  While many iOS apps have a cast button, like YouTube and Netflix for example show destinations like my xbox one and two Roku's... the Facebook IOS app does not.  Facebook is just using iOS's built in cast library which only seems to work on Apple TV or an AppleTV emulation program you can install on a PC (no help to roku).  Even installing the Apple TV app on Roku and ensuring its launched... it still does not show up as a destination for casting to.

So its a pretty tough problem with at least two bullheaded companies (Facebook and Apple).  Roku I'm sure - at least in theory - would be more than happy to have a facebook app... but they can't write it themselves.  They would probably be sued by Facebook for reverse engineering and using their intellectual property.  All Roku can do is incentivize facebook.  Provide them with all the top notch developer support they need.  Provide them with documentation and prove that development will have reach.  Maybe that means disclosing sales figures, number of live Roku accounts, demographic information... the kind of stuff Facebook drools over.

Madcatin

Jump to solution

I use iWebTV and it works great, you can use it for any movies that plays through browsers.

download iWebTV on iPhone and Roku, open the site in your iWebTV from iPhone, play the movie and if stream is found iWebTV on your iPhone will show the option where to telecast and select the roku, it will play the live feed on tv

0 Kudos
PV

Re: Facebook Video (cast) and/or Screen Mirroring - Corona Virus era (Android or Windows - MS Surfac

Jump to solution

Was watching AARP video movie on iPad and someone said they could view on roku tv. How can I do that?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@PV wrote:

Was watching AARP video movie on iPad and someone said they could view on roku tv. How can I do that?

iOS does not support casting to a Roku device. It's possible that the Chrome browser might have something internal that allows casting, but I tried that on my iPhone without success. Perhaps on an iPad it might, since the UI is designed for the larger screen. But I've never been able to view anything on an iOS device on a Roku device. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am able to cast directly from my Windows 10 laptop to Roku. From your Windows desktop, just click on the notifications icon on the far right of your task bar, select Connect, select Roku from the list and poof, your computer screen (with sound) is on your TV screen,  NO extra software needed.  

Ddeitt

Jump to solution

On your Samsung phone, use the "smart view" button in the quick view panel. You can Google how to find it if you don't know how. Once you click on it (as long as you're on the same wifi as your tv) you'll see the tv pop up to mirror to. 

0 Kudos
rwlongpre
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I purchased a micro computer on Amazon for $100. Connected to my  main TV via HDMI and control with a wireless keyboard/mouse. The PC runs Windows 10. Easy to log into Facebook or watch any internet broadcast event. The PC is a Minisform and supports WiFi. I purchased it a while ago so It's probably more expensive now.

0 Kudos
hharriola

Jump to solution

I was able to solve this issue by downloading "Web Video Caster" on Android and my Roku device, this app would let you play any web video content to Roku. I then accessed Facebook from the app and it worked like a charm!