Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: WW84 using HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

@seadooman that is a hardware issue. TCL seems to have numerous hardware issues, especially with their network adapters. Unfortunately, all we can do is tell you to contact TCL.

I might add that it could be worth notifying HBO about it as well, since it seems to be only their channel that does it. I've used my Ultras and the Premiere for HBO Max for many months and haven't had an issue, so I can't say it's a widespread problem. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Britchick1
Reel Rookie

Tried uninstalling hbo max, restarting roku, reinstalling hbo max (not billed through roku) and doesn't resolve the issue with the roku Premiere. If I want to watch a direct release movie on hbo max, I have to sit the roku on an ice brick 😞

#mcgyvered

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Britchick1

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Since the overheating issue only occurs when accessing HBO Max, we recommend reaching out to their support team directly to report the issue and further help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the publisher.

You can contact HBO Max support here: https://help.hbomax.com/

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
5BLESNZ
Reel Rookie

I have roku streaming stick…. I ordered, received and am using the extender piece.  I have not had overheating issues EVER until I installed and started using HBO MAX app.  And now I get the warning that it’s overheating EVERY TIME I watch something on HBO Max but does fine when I am watching EVERYTHING else!   

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There's no kind way to say it: HBO has terrible developers for the streaming apps. It doesn't matter the platform. I have far more trouble with my Nvidia Shield using Max than my Rokus, and that's a huge Android based user base. They are simply terrible at developing their streaming apps. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
WET1212

Thank you very much. I’ve only been on hbo max once last weekend then I got the message 2 mornings ago. I was afraid I needed to unplug it or something. Thanks again

0 Kudos
Britchick1
Reel Rookie

After a recent software update on my TV, I can now add the HBO Max app to my TV. Now that the 4 apps I use Roku for (hulu, Netflix, vudu and Hbo max) are available on my TV and work without issue, the roku can go in the trash where it belongs. *paints face blue and cries FREEDOM!*

0 Kudos
louisblr

Same issue here too. We can use the Roku Stick to watch Hulu and Netflix for extended periods. Using the HBO max app to watch movies and get the temperature warning at about 10 minutes.

0 Kudos
5BLESNZ
Reel Rookie

There is an extension piece that they sent me for free to correct the issue and I have not had that problem since.

0 Kudos
5BLESNZ
Reel Rookie

73285C05-FB57-455C-B371-C011CB17872B.jpeg

You can find this heading under support to order it…. Also be sure you have updated your roku, the HBO max app, & your tv

0 Kudos