Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larryp
Channel Surfer

Why do I see ads on Netflix and Amazon Prime?

Early this week I suddenly started getting 30, 60 and 72 second ads popping up during shows on AMAZON PRIME and NETFLIX!  I'm paying for these ad-free channels, or so I thought... Any one know what's going on and how to stop it?

33 REPLIES 33
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Suddenly getting ads on NETFLIX and AMAZON PRIME!

Amazon started adding promos (ads) for some of their original content at the beginning of playback a while ago, but that's all I've seen there. I rarely use Netflix, so can't say I've seen anything there. 

Are you talking full blown ads for something other than what they both offer. or are they just internal promos? Are the interrupting a playing video with an ad? I would be extremely upset with the latter, and don't care for but can ignore their internal promos.

This is something that you need to contact Netflix/Amazon about. Roku doesn't have any control over what's shown within another provider's channel.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Do they stop playback to play the ads, or do they seem to pop up over the video? What type of ads and what for?

Netflix certainly has no ads. As mentioned, Prime does have pre-roll ads for other Prime shows.

Otherwise, if it just seems to pop up over video, then it could be your TV. I wouldn't be surprised if some will do that given all the snooping they do now.

0 Kudos
larryp
Channel Surfer

Hello:  the ads interrupt the video on NETFLIX... they show their time in the lower left-hand corner of the screen - usually 72, 60, 30 second ads... I tolerate the ads (usually trailers for other shows) PRIOR to the feature... but I'm livid that, after paying the monthly fee for supposedly ad-free streaming video, I get these random pop-ups in SOME videos, not in others...  I'll track them a bit better and try to give you an example of a particular video that was impacted.  

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@larryp wrote:

Hello:  the ads interrupt the video on NETFLIX... they show their time in the lower left-hand corner of the screen - usually 72, 60, 30 second ads... I tolerate the ads (usually trailers for other shows) PRIOR to the feature... but I'm livid that, after paying the monthly fee for supposedly ad-free streaming video, I get these random pop-ups in SOME videos, not in others...  I'll track them a bit better and try to give you an example of a particular video that was impacted.  

I would agree. There's no way a service like Netflix should interrupt their stream with an ad. I would raise Cain with Netflix. I'd do it too, but I no longer subscribe. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
larryp
Channel Surfer

re: ADS on NETFLIX.... I MAY have mixed up the provider... It was either NETFLIX or AMAZON Prime Video... will give a better report later, after watching several shows that I watched last night  on both channels.  Sorry for the confusion - should have written it down when it happened; won't make that mistake again... (at least not today :^) )

0 Kudos
larryp
Channel Surfer

Clarifying on the provider: It is AMAZON Prime... AND, it APPEARS that at present, only one show was affected: "Macleod's Daughters" - an Australian series.  Since Season 2, Episode 12, they've been interrupting the video with ads for: LIFEWATER, IMBd, MAD MEN, Xfinity, Chemguys Car Wash (available at Amazon-obviously an AMAZON ad).  They ran 5 times during the streaming video and there is no way you can fast forward - when i tried, a "UNAVAILABLE" pop up appeared.  I've since discovered a possible clue as to if a show is going to have ads: when you click on the pause, look at the time line at the bottom of the screen; if you see marks along the path of the trace at intervals, you will probably get an ad there. That's what I've discovered so far.  I'm somewhat relieved that it wasn't on all of the other shows we watch; however, even being on one is aggravating, after paying the fee for the year to have supposed ad-free tv videos, i get this. What is really interesting is that it suddenly started at Season 2, Episode 12 - not at the beginning of the series videos... Anyone else seeing this happen in a show they've been watching?

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

This show/series is provided via IMDb TV (owned by Amazon) free with ads (It even says so right there on the series/season page, or when scrolling the content rows:  "IMDb TV: Popular TV - free with ads", etc.)

Essentially, anything on Prime listed as being provided by IMDb TV is going to have limited ads.

larryp
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the info - I never saw the notice!! At least that answers my question/issue!  Still not happy with the sudden inclusion of ads - but will check closer in future when selecting a video series to watch. Again, thank you!  LarryP

0 Kudos
Jaybo2099

Amazon got sneaky. They mixed in their ImDB content with their Prime content. So, it's very easy to start an ad supported ImDB show thinking it's a Prime show. There is even talk of having the ads in ImDB link directly to products on Amazon. I don't like that at all.

0 Kudos