Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngelWyngs
Binge Watcher

Why are the commercials on the Roku channel twice as loud as the movies? It's very annoying.

Have to turn the volume up to 30 to hear the movie well and then the commercial for Febreeze comes on and it's blasting do they do this on purpose or what? They should fix it.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why are the commercials on the Roku channel twice as loud as the movies? It's very annoying.

@AngelWyngs 

While I certainly understand your complaint, be aware that people have been complaining about the high audio volume of commercials since at least the 1960s.

From Time, December 13, 2012:

Since the 1960s, the Federal Communications Commission has been hearing complaints from television viewers that ads are too loud – way too loud.

That article is about impending Congressional action to lower the volume of commercials. You see how well that worked.

Your complaint isn't wrong, but it's been over 60 years that people have had the same complaint. I'm not expecting a resolution soon.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AngelWyngs
Binge Watcher

Re: Why are the commercials on the Roku channel twice as loud as the movies? It's very annoying.

Yeah you're right they'll probably never turn them down so I guess the only thing we can do is hit the mute button or change the channel.

0 Kudos
Alex-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hey Angelwyngs, we understand that movies and television shows can have a wide range of sounds, but using the volume modes on your compatible Roku streaming device lets you enjoy a more even listening experience. Switch to Automatic Volume Leveling to hear more consistent audio levels across various types of entertainment, making it less jarring when a commercial comes on or while switching channels. Use Night Mode to reduce the volume level for louder scenes and boost it for quieter ones, letting you watch late-night TV without disturbing others.

Find out if your device is compatible and how to use these features here: https://support.roku.com/article/226802507. If you have any questions feel free to reply to this post or send us a message directly. We're always happy to help. #HappyStreaming