Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McMike
Level 9

Why RokuOS "loading" message and countdown before app launches and begins its own loading sequence?

For several months, it often happens that when I launch an app, I get a white rectangle that says, for example, "loading YouTube" with a countdown wheel. When it's done after 15 or 20 seconds, only then does the app start to launch, and then I'll get, for example, YouTube's own "loading" screen. I've seen mention that this can happen if a device is out of storage memory and has to off-load apps and the re-download them when launched ... but I've only got 12 apps installed, and it's the ones that I use the most that are giving me this message (I'd expect RokuOS to off-load the least used apps, not the most used). This is on a TCL tv with Roku 7126X system and RokuOS 10.0.0

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why RokuOS "loading" message and countdown before app launches and begins its own load

Roku devices have a finite amount of storage space for the channels you have installed. If you have more channels than space, the Roku will offload a channel to make space to load a new one. When another channel is started, then the same process happens again. Newer devices have more storage space, and some older devices support adding an SD card to increase storage space. I don't know the specs on Roku TVs, and it probably differs by manufacturer. Most likely the TV simply doesn't have enough space to keep them all locally on the TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
McMike
Level 9

Re: Why RokuOS "loading" message and countdown before app launches and begins its own load

Thanks Dan, I’ve heard that about the offloading app when memory is full. Hoping you can help me understand a few things:

Does the appearance of what I’m describing (white rectangle with progress circle) correspond to the off-loading/re-downloading thing?

I’ve only got 12 apps installed; is it likely that I’ve run out of storage with so few apps? (This is a 7000X series tv, so not especially old and not a bottom-tier device.)

Why would it be offloading an app (YouTube) that I use every day instead of one of the apps (e.g., PBS, Kanopy, Hoopla) that I almost never use?

This only started a couple of months ago, and I’ve actually reduced, not increased, the number of apps in that period. What could have caused this issue to emerge now after never appearing for the several years that I’ve had the tv?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

You are describing the way it's supposed to work, unloading the least used channels first. It doesn't sound like yours is doing that, however. No idea why, and I doubt there's anything that can be done about it. A factory reset might clear out some stray corrupt code, but I don't recommend doing something that drastic unless it becomes unbearable. 

No, I wouldn't expect only 12 channels to fill the storage. But I have no idea how much storage space your TV has, and that's not information available on the Wiki. And of course not all channels are the same size, so simply the channel count alone can't determine when the space is filled. The latest Roku players have 4 GB of storage, but many of the older devices have as little as 256 MB. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos