Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Why Is It I Can't Remove Roku Channel?

I subscribed to a channel on this app that I only meant to use via my computer. Now I've found that the Roku Channel is on my TV, without an option to remove it -- even after the subscription has been cancelled.

Please tell me that Roku isn't trying to force this channel on users.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why Is It I Can't Remove Roku Channel?

Do you get a "Manage subscription" option instead of "Remove app" when you highlight it on the Home Screen and press * on your remote?  If so, you may have to wait until the term of the canceled subscription runs out (subscriptions are still valid until the end of the original term even if canceled).  I can remove it, but I've never subscribed to anything through Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

If you subscribe through Roku, then that app is typically stuck until the subscription expires. If you subscribe to a premium through The Roku Channel, then that may also be stuck until the subscription expires.

As I constantly say: NEVER subscribe through a 3rd party. Always go to the services WEB SITE (not a phone app), and sign up there. That will guarantee the widest possible number of devices you can use it on. Signing up through Roku can often limit you to Roku devices. Signing up through The Roku Channel may prevent you from using the real app for that service, and must go through The Roku Channel.

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Thanks for your comments. Yes, all of the above. I tried subscribing directly via Paramount Plus, but the service was acting strange and not allowing me to. Not having that issue with anything else.

In any case, Roku should not force users to keep the Roku Channel on the home screen until a subscription ends. I thought that customers were supposed to control what apps are on the home menu, not Roku. I've learned not to use Roku Channel subscriptions now.

0 Kudos
renojim

You may be able to remove it using the Roku app on your phone, but not giving the option for "Remove channel/app" until a subscription expires applies to all channels/apps, not just The Roku Channel.  You can always move it to the bottom of your apps if you can't remove it so that it's out of the way.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

@renojim wrote:

You may be able to remove it using the Roku app on your phone, but not giving the option for "Remove channel/app" until a subscription expires applies to all channels/apps, not just The Roku Channel. 

That's not the case, actually. I've cancelled my subscription to Tennis Channel, and I can remove it right now. That's also been the case with Netflix and plenty of others.

I've tried the Roku app, and it doesn't work. Thanks, though.

0 Kudos
renojim

Interesting.  I'm fairly certain I've seen people here mention that they couldn't remove other apps until the subscription runs out.  Never having subscribed to anything through Roku I can't try it myself.

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Maybe there was just some miscommunication. I can remove anything that I didn't subscribe to "through Roku." But if it was subscribed to via the Roku Channel, it's stuck until the subscription ends. That shouldn't be the case IMO, and I suspect that Roku is doing it to try and force people to reconsider. One of the few times I've been disappointed with Roku.

0 Kudos