Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffEE
Reel Rookie

Where have all the apps gone?

In the past when I searched the Movies and TV app category there were around 1,000 of them.  Then it dropped to 500 now it is 200.  That is roughly an 80% reduction.  Other app categories have seen similar reductions.

Where have all the apps gone?

5 REPLIES 5
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Where have all the apps gone?

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @JeffEE!

We appreciate you reaching out regarding your concern. No worries. We'd be more than happy to assist you with this. 

Please be aware that the availability of certain movies or TV shows on the Roku streaming platform varies from time to time. It may be possible that certain movies and TV shows that you've seen before aren't available on the platform anymore.

We hope this clears everything out. Let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with, and we'd be more than happy to assist.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JeffEE
Reel Rookie

I think you misunderstood my question.  I was not referring to the number of shows being reduced.  I was referring to the number of entire channels.

0 Kudos
davidjazz
Roku Guru

I think Roku did a purge a few months back, and then again recently. Many of the channels were set up years ago and never maintained or abandoned by their creators. Many titles were placeholders with little or no content. Many more couldn't even be opened.

In the last year, Roku adopted a new programming language for creating a channel. All channels are required to be rewritten by December of this year. Those failing to comply will disappear or have already.

0 Kudos
USAtube15
Channel Surfer

The decline in the number of apps within categories could be attributed to various factors. App removals, updates, quality control measures, changes in categorization, and platform adjustments are common reasons for such shifts. If you're curious about the specific changes, checking the platform's release notes or contacting support for insights can provide a clearer understanding.

MaheshBabu1
Channel Surfer

Okay and Thanks

0 Kudos