Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghediprime

Re: Was Movieland.tv deleted?

Jump to solution

The movies on Movieland TV have been shown to death since the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's and should be FREE....no one typically watches them except us seniors, who grew up with them on our 3 station televisions.....most every movie on Movieland TV should be public domain by now....even the Disney movies....I'm sick of paying for old movies, that have a very limited audience.....the adolescent thru 40's crowd weren't watching this app....!! ROKU shouldn't be held accountable for independent app developer's content, only their own content.....that's like holding a comedian responsible for someone dying because they laughed themselves to death....!!!....stupid to remove the Movieland TV app....if the feds want to prosecute someone, charge the developers of the app, if they think they are showing unauthorized copyrighted content....Geeeeze...!!🙄

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @ghediprime

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

At times, our content providers may choose to remove their channel from our platform at their own request. In other cases, a channel may be removed by us if it violates our terms and conditions. We take reports of piracy or any other unlawful activity very seriously.

For more information, please see our support page here: Why is a channel no longer available on my Roku® streaming device?

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Karla,

Are you an official spokesman employee for Roku, accusing Movieland TV of pirating movies?

Are you saying that is the reason for it being removed?

Doesn't Roku, Tubi and others, also show copywritten movies for free? Are those pirated, too?

I would like to know the specific official reason for removing Movieland TV, which seemed to have an excellent (but very limited) selection of content. Roku's web site that you quote in your second paragraph really doesn't explain anything. Did Movieland TV really ask Roku to remove them? Did Movieland TV pirate these movies? How did they do that? This is a very poplular channel. Please explain it to us.

Thanks!

Rokrew
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Tubi is owned by Fox....ergo they're legally allowed to show programming which they own. 

Roku has deals in place with multiple studios to run their films and TV programs that is tied in with ad-generated revenue. 

Movieland TV was ad-free. Did not have copyright permission from Warner Bros, Disney, Sony or any other company to air their films. Public Domain films as of 2023 are all films produced in 1928 and prior.

The way Movieland was able to fly in under the radar was to list the copyrighted date for every film incorrectly. 

dwm1990

Jump to solution

Me too

0 Kudos
Felisleo

Jump to solution

As others have said, it's because of copyright. Movieland TV isn't exactly legit and has disappeared at least twice before but it always has come back after a few weeks or months. It's frustrating though because it always takes some time before all the movies are added again. I always cross my fingers when it reappears because it will be deleted again eventually. It lasted going on 3 years last time it came back!

Felisleo

Jump to solution

Actually, Movieland did have ads. They don't appear very often, but they are there.

Rokrew
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Actually that is what I've come to refer to as RGAs. Which are Roku Generated Ads. To see what I mean watch something like the Price is Right channel or Doctor Who channel on the Roku channel. When it goes to the ads if simply channel up or down and go back you'll see the ad has disappeared and only the show bumper with the coming back timer is there.  

Froide
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

FYI, at some public libraries (such as several of mine), both "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" and "My Side of the Mountain" can be borrowed on DVDs, and "My Side of the Mountain" can be streamed via Kanopy (see https://reelgood.com/movie/brother-sun-sister-moon-1972).

0 Kudos
gloriana35
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Very well put!  I am a senior, and these were films which were on television regularly when  we were younger. This was my favourite channel.