Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sackattack
Binge Watcher

Video preview implementation by main premium channel providers is killing ROKU browse experience.

I have been observing for quite some time that many premium channel developers like Paramount plus, NBC and Fox have implemented video preview while browsing titles. The implementation, compared to Netflix for one, is absolutely killing user experience to almost an unusable degree. Netflix is smooth and does not black out the screen or impact navigation in addition to allowing the user to turn off preview through website controls. Not so with the others. It has gotten bad enough that I am considering scrapping my 10 Rokus and getting an alternative. I don’t blame Roku but I think they should take an active role in ensuring a level of quality worth their partners. Especially since they make money back from it. 

i have tried multiple times to speak to support reps from all of them. And I get canned useless answers. 

I have been a senior product developer and technologist for multiple OTT apps with large brands like CBS, NBC, NFL and WWE in my career and this is a terrible experience. 

I was an early supporter of ROKU since it’s infancy. But I worry about the inevitable fat, dumb and happy problem.   Like blockbuster, AOL, etc. 

So DO something. If the player experience is bad, and others ok, then you could loose it. See attached comparison from paramount + and Netflix. 

I am on all the latest updated ROKU’s and have 1GB fiber so don’t ask those basics, please!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mvvWPaYZVv2Wjak_zwet3PA90j1hPgdz/view?usp=drivesdk

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Sackattack
Binge Watcher

Re: Video preview implementation by main premium channel providers is killing ROKU browse experience

This is getting worse.  Peacock on roku is a horrible experience.  Works fine on LG Smart TV app, however.  

Roku!!! Need to better manage quality of the app ecosystem of channel providers to make sure they meet a level of quality that doesn’t impact user experience negatively.

Guilt by association that will blowback on Roku as a platform.

0 Kudos
Sackattack
Binge Watcher

Re: Video preview implementation by main premium channel providers is killing ROKU browse experience

After having been a supporter of Roku devices, since the earliest days across all of my family members, we are slowly moving to Apple TV devices. They are a slight premium cost over Roku, however, the experience in streaming, and in browsing Content is massively superior and smooth. Roku has not updated their hardware and software platform for a number of years, other than introducing an improved voice remote.

All of the issues I mentioned on the Roku platform, which include the most annoying black screen preview interruptions, while browsing content on channels that have all now added that feature, are gone with Apple TV. 

Roku has lost their way on the streaming device side which includes a lack of improvement of their tires O/S and developer SDK. They have followed in the footsteps of other companies that grew too big for their britches. roku is more about making money on their own branded content or getting their % vig from other content providers. 

This is very sad. Just my local family alone has about 50 Rokus. We have continued to upgrade to the ultra’s, but I’ve seen no improvement. Because under the covers there really isn’t any. 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Sackattack

Thanks for sharing that with us!

We're always looking to improve our products and appreciate your feedback regarding black screen preview interruptions. Feel free to share additional feedback, and ideas then post them here at Suggest a Feature.

We strive to provide the best experience possible, and we always appreciate feedback from our customers.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Sackattack
Binge Watcher

Thank you for your reply. I have worked directly with Support over and over again, and I would get a set of canned answers versus any level of interest or commitment in improving the quality of the product. 

No offense, but bad user experience is not a feature. This is a bug or possibly  more likely poor implementation of your SDK by channel developers.  I have started to implement AppleTV 4K for my family, and so far these kind of nuisances and poor user experience do not exist on that platform.

I was an OG and also an early developer and supporter on Roku before you grew so large so take this advice seriously, don’t rest on your laurels like so many other companies have made the mistake of doing.   Do you remember Blockbuster video? Do you remember AOL?

thanks for listening and good luck  

0 Kudos