Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caveman52
Reel Rookie

Unable to find local channels with a digital antenna attached

Jump to solution

I bought a ROKU streaming stick for an older tv. Everything seems to work fine except, I can’t get the local channels to show up under LIVETV. There are no options to do a channel scan and during setup, it never asked me to run one. I can change the input on the tv and get the local channels, so I know the tv is finding them. Any ideas as to why I can’t access these channels? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Unable to find local channels with a digital antenna attached

Jump to solution

That would be the typical way, yes. I pop back and forth between Roku, Satellite,  OTA and other inputs routinely using the input buttons on my AVR.  (But that's because I have an AVR - if I didn't then I would just switch inputs on my TV.)

Of course, there are channel/apps on Roku that present a live-TV-like presentation, but these apps are still using internet streaming, not the antenna on the TV. 

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

A Roku player is not a TV.  It has no tuner or an input for an antenna.  It is meant to add streaming from the internet to an existing TV.  The TV is expected to already do the over the air stuff.

0 Kudos
Caveman52
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks! So does that mean that the only way I can see local channels on these older tv’s using the ROKU stick is by changing the input? The local channels seems to be fine on my other actual ROKU TV’s. The only ones that don’t work are the older ones that don’t have the Roku operating system running on them

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

That would be the typical way, yes. I pop back and forth between Roku, Satellite,  OTA and other inputs routinely using the input buttons on my AVR.  (But that's because I have an AVR - if I didn't then I would just switch inputs on my TV.)

Of course, there are channel/apps on Roku that present a live-TV-like presentation, but these apps are still using internet streaming, not the antenna on the TV.