Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: The Roku Channel (on firestick) playback errors

Hi @Bertrand00,

We really do appreciate you keeping us updated on how things are going.

Please let us know if you are still having this issue when connecting your device to a different network, such as a mobile hotspot.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
arizman2
Channel Surfer

personally, historically, I was able to access Roku via firestick using VPN.

Then, some weeks ago, I was unable to access Roku via the firestick.

I theorized that VPN may be the issue because many web sites will not function if you access them via a VPN, my guess is they detect you are using a VPN and this thwarts their ability to collect information.

To test my theory, I disabled the VPN on my firestick and then I was able to access Roku content just as I always have been able to.

So, my guess is that Roku has made some changes that thwart anyone using a VPN 

0 Kudos
Bertrand00
Binge Watcher

hi, i still get the same screen on my phone or firestick. 

If its meant to play in Britain I'll keep pursuing it, but if its not meant to work anyway,  well, its called flogging a dead horse. 

Image attached of trying today 

Screenshot_20230829-074604_Roku.jpg

0 Kudos
PTmom

Brand new 4K Fire stick Max. Express VPN in the US. 

Downloaded app from Amazon. Cannot play ANYTHING! 

PROBLEM: Playback error

Have no issues with any other apps.

I've cleared data, cleared cache, force stop, uninstall, tried again - same error message. 

Can you please advise so we can watch this app on our brand new fire stick? 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @PTmom,

We want to thank you for reaching out to us regarding this issue and for your first post in the Roku Community.

Have you tried connecting your device to a different network or without using a VPN to see if there are any differences? You might also try connecting it to a mobile hotspot and observing whether or not the problem continues to manifest itself after doing so.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
W3irddoe

This issue has been happening for a year and a half at least. I don't use a VPN and I can't watch any of the shows I've tried on my firestick lite.

0 Kudos
Bertrand00
Binge Watcher

Hi

If I try to launch roku app on the firestick without a usa vpn location,  it freezes on the purple welcome screen.

I added it to a  Now tv stick yesterday to try it. I got what looked like a British version, with 80% content missing compared to the American Market. 

Suggets what I want to watch is geo blocked , and roku have made it inaccessible to non American viewers through vpn.

0 Kudos
arizman2
Channel Surfer

disable your express vpn and then try it

0 Kudos
Bertrand00
Binge Watcher

There was a phone in today into the show I watch,  and someone reported to rich eisen that he can hear him but not see him, due to vpn blocking.  He said he will get onto it. I too can only hear the show  on a radio app with vpn.  At least it works . 

I imagine we might see some movement now, he is a well respected presenter. 

Shame roku haven't done anything. 

0 Kudos
DB1313
Reel Rookie

I have a brand new firestick. I down loaded the Roku Channel and I have never been able to watch anything on it due to the playback error. Every show I try to watch displays this error. How do I fix this? Or is this just a bad app and everyone should be made aware of this issue?

0 Kudos