Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tech1pete
Channel Surfer

Streaming stick 4K sound with sony soundbar

I have a Sharp Aquos TV with Sony sound bar, just purchased streaming stick for my basement tv setup.  I have sound through TV speakers but cannot get it to go to the sound bar.

TV HDMI connected to HDMI (ARC) on sound bar, when switching to HDMI 3 where the Roku stick is, sound will only come out of the tv speakers.  Would like sound to go through soundbar, any suggestions

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streaming stick 4K sound with sony soundbar

Hi @tech1pete,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. What brand name of the soundbar are you currently using? If you are using a Roku soundbar, kindly check this support article on how to set up your Roku TV Wireless Soundbar for more details. You can also check out this support article on how to switch audio from your Roku® wireless audio device to another sound system.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tech1pete
Channel Surfer

Soundbar is a Sony SA-CT660

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@tech1pete,

Thanks for the post,

How to switch the audio

To turn off your wireless audio device and use your Roku TV's built-in speakers or other audio outputs, follow the instructions below:

1. Press Home on your Roku TV remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Audio,
  4. Select audio output.
  5. Select wireless speakers or a wireless soundbar.
  6. There are two ways you can turn off your Roku wireless audio device.

Select TV speakers to enable the built-in TV speakers along with other audio outputs. Your wireless audio device will be disabled.

Select ARC or optical to enable only the audio outputs. Both your wireless audio device and your TV's built-in speakers will be disabled.

After you disable your Roku wireless speakers or Roku TV Wireless Soundbar, audio will return to the TV speakers and/or other audio outputs, depending on your selection. You can re-enable your wireless audio device by performing steps 1 through 4 above, and then selecting AutoWireless speakers, or Wireless soundbar

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tech1pete
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the post, however, i do not see those options.

when i go to Audio i have:

Menu Volume; Audio preferred language; preferred streaming format & Digital output format

under the output, it is set to Auto and says it sees stereo from available HDMI.  Nothing to select on that screen.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@tech1pete,

Thanks for the post,

How are you connecting your Sony Soundbar?

In the meantime, have you tried contacting Sony for further assistance?

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tech1pete
Channel Surfer

i have tried to contact Sony and Sharp and neither are helping everyone is pointing me to the other vendor.

My Sharp TV has HDMI-1 and the digital optical going to the Sony sound bar.  As stated this works fine when I use the TV with my antenna  and in tv mode and it also works when i connect my gaming console to the Audio ports of the TV.

Roku is plugged into HDMI-3 on the TV and the sound does not end up going to the soundbar it will only be heard with the TV speakers.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tech1pete,

Thank you for updating us here in the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with your Sony soundbar since it was not producing any audio. We're happy to assist you further. Please try to switch HDMI outputs at the back of your TV, and let's try to see if the problem is fixed.

Let us know how it works.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tech1pete
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the suggestion, i did try that and that did not change anything.

I then put the Roku streaming stick in HDMI-1 on the soundbar and this worked, however, i had to change the soundbar to HDMI-1 for sound to come through.  

Disadvantage, I cannot turn on or off the soundbar with the roku remote, i have to use the soundbar remote.  i did try to dd a device and the only option available there was remote.  Is it possible to add the soundbar to also power on and off with the roku remote like it does for the TV?

0 Kudos