Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dr_Cat
Reel Rookie

Streaming apps go black when movie starts. Only app working is Sling.

When I use a streaming app like Netflix and Disney, my screen goes black as soon as I start a movie. I can see everything as I browse selections and make the selection, however the screen goes black as soon as the movie starts. The only app I can seem to get to work is Sling. I have a Roku model 100068378 70 in. I checked updates, uninstalled/reinstalled apps, reset video/audio, switched plugs, and checked connections.  Once the screen goes black, you can't see the screen at all, even when I leave the app I was using to watch a movie. Once the screen goes black, I find it very difficult to get the screen to resume normally so that I can see the home screen. Tonight it took me over 30 minutes to get black screen to go away and it has been a repeated incident all night. Lastly, the issues I am experiencing have been going on since the weekend. 

I have not tried to powerwash. I don't see a power button on the tv itself. I have not performed a factory reset either. 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming apps go black when movie starts. Only app working is Sling.

Try a simple reboot. I had a similar problem and that cleared it.

0 Kudos
Dr_Cat
Reel Rookie

Rbooting hasn't helped @davidjazz I am eventually able to get the tv picture to resume, but not for a substantial period. At this point my smart tv is only compatible with Sling. I am really frustrated that the tv is no longer functioning as intended. What is the point if I can't deviate from Sling. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dr_Cat,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome to the Roku Community.

Could you share with us a little bit more information about this? When did you start seeing these changes? Also, suggest trying to connect your device to a solid network (Ethernet) or to an alternative network like a mobile hotspot and then try again to see if there's any difference.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dr_Cat
Reel Rookie

This has been happening for about 2 weeks now. I have an Onn Roku TV (Model 100068378). I keep up on the system/app updates. I first started seeing the issue with Netflix and then as I would attempt to stream on other applications like Disney, I would run into the same issue. 

1. Can see the movie/show selections (navigation is possible)

2. Select a movie/show for streaming. 

3. Screen goes black and I am unable to see anything, even when I try to navigate back to the TV's home menu. 

4. Unplugging TV, leaving TV off for periods of time, nothing helps. 

5. Eventually picture comes back, but essentially it isn't because of anything that I have been able to identify to cause the picture to reappear.

6. Sling is the only streaming app that doesn't give me an issue. (Youtube, Netflix, Paramont+, Disney, Hulu, etc. All cause the same issue as soon as I try to stream content)

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for getting back to us, @Dr_Cat!

Have you tried streaming it using an alternative network, like a mobile hotspot, to see if you're seeing the same result? But if the problem continues. Please provide us with the details below in order for us to further look into this.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Can you provide a video or screenshot of the issue you're experiencing?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kinsey13
Reel Rookie

Hello I am also having this same difficulty. I can see the shows to select, the show starts and the screen is black, but the subtitles are still appearing .

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Kinsey13,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We see that you're having a playback issue, and we'd like to take a closer look into this.

Could you share with us what channel are you having an issue with? Also, when did you start seeing this, and what troubleshooting have you tried so far?

Tell us more about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kinsey13
Reel Rookie

Hello, I have tried Netflix/Hulu/YouTube/paramount/Vudu. I can see the apps and shows to select, it plays sound and captions but screen is black in the actual show. I have tried changing the HDMI port, unplugging the TV itself, restarting the Wi-Fi, blowing out all the ports and the Roku stick. It has worked normally this morning, however this afternoon, it started having this issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Kinsey13,

Thanks for the update,

Let's see if connecting it to a mobile hotspot and try accessing it again to see if there are any differences.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos