Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sherryb
Reel Rookie

Starlink made my Roku think I moved to Seattle

I live in NE Washington and have 2 channels that I watch locally through my ROKU. One is Paramount Plus and the other is my local PBS channel.

I just switched my internet provider to Starlink (love it!).  The problem is now my local channels don't come in on the live stream.  I used to get local news for Spokane, WA and now it will only bring in Seattle.  Same thing with the PBS station.

One of the many things I read said that I could make a setting in ROKU so it knows my location.

Please help.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Starlink made my Roku think I moved to Seattle

I believe you would need to contact Starlink about this.  Is there actually a setting on your router or not?  I’m confused.

Tagging @RokuMary-F and @RokuKariza-D.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

A Roku TV (a set with Roku functionality built in) has an option for entering your Zip/Postal code.  There is no similar setting on a separate Roku streaming device.

Most channel streaming apps that need your location determine it by the IP number assigned to you by your internet provider.  If your internet provider assigns or changes your IP number to one attached to one of its servers located in a different area, that could change the local stations you are provided.

You can use a website like https://www.iplocation.net/ to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

Note that some channels themselves may have a provision for setting your location. 

• Paramount+:
    Go to Settings at the bottom of the left hand menu, then Live TV.
  • PBS:
    Go to My Station the left hand menu.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
sherryb
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your ideas.

I found an article about Starlink.  They have chosen a limited number of large metropolitan areas instead of more granular approach.  Seattle is location chosen for my area.  

Yesterday, I was reminded that I have a ROKU channel for my local area news and can tune into the morning news during my lunch break.  I'll just have to live with the PBS channel change, it barely affects me.

0 Kudos
sherryb
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  

Unfortunately, that did not work.  I have since found out that Starlink has chosen several major metropolitan areas for the locations and Seattle is the one for me.

I was reminded that I have a local Spokane station on my ROKU, so I can tune into the local morning news during my lunch break.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

0 Kudos
sherryb
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your reply.  You were on the right track.  I found out that Starlink has a limited number of major municipalities as the IP locations.  I was able to find work-arounds for the local news.

Mahalo Nui

0 Kudos