Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Re: Spanish Commercials on Roku

@SerenityNow don’t have time to 

Sorry I do not have time to read your entire post. A shame because it appears very well thought out and well written. I did scan it over and came away with a couple of thoughts. I’m not likely to do this often in Roku forums because I’m here for two purposes only and just don’t have time for it.

“Doesn’t that immediately make people biased against, less likely to hear anything they say & possibly to even be prepared if not enticed into the act of arguing?”

No, it doesn’t make anyone do anything. Everyone has the ability to choose their own reactions.

Why call yourself a bigot? I certainly didn’t. Are you perhaps assuming I’m making the assumption that everyone aligned with this complaint is a bigot? That’s not what I said. I said one particular thread was rife with it. It was not a judgment of everyone having this compliant. It’s a call to rethink why one would make such a big deal over Spanish ads and how it probably looks. Others have danced around the truth of what it looks like. I don’t dance.

The remark in my signature “Not here to make friends” is a temporary response to a nasty personal attack lodged against me elsewhere on this forum and has nothing to do with this particular thread. I intend to change the signature soon.

Could it be you may be making the same sort of assumptions you seem to be saying I am? 

The truth is I’m not here to socialize. I have real friends in real life for that. I’m here to help and seek help. Simple as that. But I’m not going to keep silent about things that should not be ignored just because a few react badly to being called out for them. If you don’t like how I speak, there’s a mute button. Feel free to use it. OR, you could not jump to conclusions and see what’s I’m really all about over time. 😎😊

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos

I really detest having all commercials in Spanish now. I have NO idea what they are saying.  I registered as English.  I bet the Spanish people registered for the Spanish language.  So why am I and other's here who are English having to hear Spanish commercials? Please fix the problem you made.   Thank you.

Spiritlady99@gmail.com 

MrXxx
Roku Guru

My remote has a mute button. I bet yours does too.

Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I agree with original poster, I speak English I should not have to hear Spanish ads. My guess is this is to cater to the millions of illegals streaming into the US every year under the current corrupt administration. The democrat party really wants to cater to what it thinks is its future voter base and they don't give a care at all for normal Americans. We are just here to pay taxes so they can spend all our money on giving illegals everything for free.

To the guy that posted and said it was 'bigotry' to complain about this, nope, it's facts. He is definitely a 'snowflake' as one guy called him. People like him who vote for failed leftist policies are the reason this country is falling apart.

0 Kudos
Benish007
Reel Rookie

Roku may prioritize advertising revenue from Spanish commercials to reach a broader audience. You can provide feedback directly to Roku through their customer support channels, requesting options to customize ad preferences or language settings. You may also explore alternative streaming platforms.

0 Kudos
Sherbad57

Amen! Please this is still America...we have SAP for people not willing to learn the English language! NOW, I have noticed a commercial in an Oriental language! Geez Louise! What a waste of AMERICAN time and money. I now just turn off what I was watching and do something else. Why can we Americans not be proud of our language, history and OMG future. This is not Mexico nor do we want to digress to the lifestyle of that country. THIS IS ENGLISH SPEAKING AMERICA! I believe that if you want to give up your Mexican heritage and become American citizens, you must first know the English language and no more wasted extra paperwork in 10 different languages. You want our welfare and food stamps give up your Mexican loyalty and learn the American way. 

This is America.  I don't mind if you show mexican commercials,  but show us a little respect and add English sub-titles or something similar. If I have to watch commercials,  I should be able to understand them.

TeeKay7
Reel Rookie

🙄😞 good day to all,   since fall 2023~ it has become more apparent & invasive of foreign language commercials...even though roku settings are configured to"english as preferred language".     what a waste of corporate investment of ads being presented in foreign language to consumers who don't have clue of what they are conveying!! most of ads are asian/spanish/portuguese/thailand & the list grows!!   roku user goes through a maze of support topics --yet useless resolution in privacy controls.

what's worse & disrespectful is these ads interrupt an urgent weather alert or during a devastation of human lives/a funeral memorial or educational  social helpful topics.  during the ad interruption,  one can though, just simply jump to another app...then  back track  or prepare a snack/do chores.  society seems to be losing more "freedom of choice" being controlled by greedy corporate or politics creating a divisive america  from kindness & love to violence & hatred.

roku was the best media player entering the market when it"launched its first streaming player in 2008. the streaming revolution now had a platform. viewers loved it. within six years, the company sold more than 10 million devices".  so please respect your customers by offering simple control app "blocking foreign language" invasion to english speaking consumers.   roku system settings is ineffective.  thank you!!  loyal 15 year roku 3 user!!!

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I’ve never seen anything like that, but of course, that demonstrates one of the strengths of the Roku platform: If you don’t like a channel, then there are plenty of other channels available.

Of course, if it’s a commercial-oriented channel, then the advertiser is the customer.  As such, things like funerals and weather alerts are interrupting the customer’s paid content, not the other way around.

If you do wish to watch commercials, you may still be able to find a channel where the customers are more to your liking.  Or, just be done with the commercials and watch something that doesn’t have them.  Lots of options on Roku.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

This whole "conversation" is just plain stupid. 

"it has become more apparent & invasive of foreign language commercials"

Invasive? Really? Like, is someone pounding on your door forcing their way into your home beating you up because you don't speak their language? Invasive is a pretty strong and unnecessary term. See below for further insight.

"...even though roku settings are configured to"english as preferred language"."

Preferred language has nothing to do with what's played in ads. All that does is set the language of your system menus and preferred channels that are suggested for you.

"what a waste of corporate investment of ads being presented in foreign language to consumers who don't have clue of what they are conveying!! most of ads are asian/spanish/portuguese/thailand & the list grows!!"   

As opposed to the time wasted on this useless topic when you could just learn to use your mute button?

"roku user goes through a maze of support topics --yet useless resolution in privacy controls."

No idea what privacy has to do with any of this. 

"what's worse & disrespectful is these ads interrupt an urgent weather alert or during a devastation of human lives/a funeral memorial or educational  social helpful topics."

Stop it. ALL ads, regardless of language do this.

"during the ad interruption,  one can though, just simply jump to another app...then  back track  or prepare a snack/do chores."

Right. One could, couldn't one? Or use that mute button. 😜

"society seems to be losing more "freedom of choice" being controlled by greedy corporate or politics creating a divisive america  from kindness & love to violence & hatred."

Seriously? Freedom of choice? Controlled? Paranoid much? And who's really spreading the hatred here? Try looking in the mirror. smh

"so please respect your customers by offering simple control app "blocking foreign language" invasion to english speaking consumers."

Aaaand there it is again. "Invasion." Read a history book or two. Spaniards were the original invaders here. The rest of Europe followed. Unless ALL you're ancestors were/are indigenous, your ancestors were invaders here. Stop with the "dog whistles." We shouldn't even call them dog whistles anymore. They are so loud and clear to everyone except the one's blowing them it would be funny if it weren't so disgusting. 

If you want respect show some yourself.