Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mads
Channel Surfer

Something Went Wrong Message

I've been streaming programs from The Rokuchannel.com on my laptop (Apple) for months with no problem.

In the last few days all I get is a "Something Went Wrong. Sorry this page can't be viewed. Check your browser settings and try again." message for anything on any channel I try to open and stream. https://therokuchannel.roku.com/500

I've tried using both Firefox and Safari as a browser, same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Something Went Wrong Message

@mads Are you using the link you provided in your message?  If I click on that link I get an error message.  If I remove the /500 from the end it opens correctly.  Is it possible you have somehow stored that link in your browser?

0 Kudos
mads
Channel Surfer

I don't think so. I've cleared the history in the browser and it still comes up the same. Is there somewhere else I would look to see if it's stored that way?

When you say "If I remove the /500 from the end it opens correctly." do you mean that you go to the main Roku Channel page or that the program opens and is able to stream?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, @HDMIGuy means if you go to https://therokuchannel.roku.com the channel SHOULD open and work properly.

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/500 is the address of the error display page.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mads
Channel Surfer

When I remove the error code /500 and refresh, I get to the main Roku Channel page, but then when I go to a specific program and try to open I get the same "Something Went Wrong....." message and end up on the same https://therokuchannel.roku.com/500 page again.

I've tried clearing my history, signing out, signing back in and always the same result.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

These forums are getting many complaints about problems that affect some but far from all users playing content on The Roku Channel app on Roku devices.

There have been a few complaints like yours involving The Roku Channel on other platforms also.

So far, none of the standard quick fixes on the users' end have solved anything.

It's not inconceivable that both sets of problems share common or at least related back end causes that Roku has yet to figure out or fix.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mads
Channel Surfer

Thanks for that info. Things had been working just fine and I'm not aware of anything that changed on my end.

I don't have any problem streaming shows on The Roku Channel directly from my Roku device to my TV at least. It's just an issue on my MacBook.

I guess I may have to try to contact Roku support directly, if that's even possible.

0 Kudos
mads
Channel Surfer

It was my VPN!! I turned it off and now things are working perfectly. I does seem odd since I usually have the VPN on and it hasn't been an issue.

Again thanks to those who offered suggestions!