Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sbull
Channel Surfer

Soap opera effect issues Roku

I have the same issue.  Cannot watch streaming, at least two channels I am aware of, because of the motion interpolation.  My info:

Model: 3930x-Roku Express

Serial #: X00400GXPUW4

Software version: 12.0.0 build 4184-AE

Device ID: S008322xPUW4

Occurs when streaming. I know on Netfix and Disney +.

Netflix 5.1 build 102029018

Disney+ 1.33 build 2023060100

Issue Tracker ID: W4-277-497 (Disney+)

Issue Tracker ID: W4-277-502 (Netflix)

I am unable to attach a picture.  The issue can be replicated by watching either of those streamers.

Thank you,

Sherri

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Soap opera effect issues Roku

Hi @Sbull,

Welcome to your first post on the Roku Community!

Could you please tell us more about the issue you're having? An image or a video would be very much helpful if it's possible.

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sbull
Channel Surfer

I appreciate your response, but I have absolutely no idea how to post a pic or video here. If you could walk me through the fill-in-the-blanks when I select the camera icon, that may be helpful.  

Otherwise, I do not know what additional info I can provide, but I really need a way to turn off the motion interpolation on my Roku Express.

Thank you,

Sherri

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sbull,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

You will see an image icon when you press the "Reply" option to send an image or video. After that, you can select an already existing image to be uploaded or capture a new image or video. Just wait for the file to be uploaded in your reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sbull
Channel Surfer

This is a screen shot from season 2 esp 1 of the Lincoln L*wyer.  I cannot post videos as they are in .mov.

Thank you for your help.  I also have a problem with having to reconnect to the network several times a week.  A restart seems to temporarily fix the problem, but I would love a permanent solution.

lincoln screenshot.jpg

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t know how that picture is supposed to look, so I can’t tell what’s wrong with it.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Sbull
Channel Surfer

I understand a picture does not convey what is wrong.  What I need to know is how to turn off the smoothing effect on my Roku Express.  That's it.  No pictures or video required.  I would image just saying the "soap opera effect" would allow you to visualize my problem.  It is unwatchable.  I understand it is great for sports, but I am watching shows on Netflix and Disney+, not sports.

I tried to follow the online help, only my menu does not have that option.  The message that flashes Netflix says I need to adjust on my device. All I need to know is how to do that.  

I also need to know if there is a way to stay connected to the internet that does not require my restarting my Roku several times a week.

Can you please help me with these two things?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I turned off motion smoothing on my TV.  I don’t recall any such setting on my Roku players.  Some TVs have independent settings for each input.

And I’m sorry, but I’ve never had a Roku disconnect so I could only suggest generic things like changing Wi-Fi channels, making sure the Wi-Fi modes in the router are set to b/g/n etc.  If you search for your specific router model in this forum, you might find something more specific.

0 Kudos
Sbull
Channel Surfer

I have it off on my TV, yet I still have the issue on both Netflix and Disney+.  Am I understanding that no Roku device offers the ability to cut-off motion smoothing? So, upgrading my Roku would not help with this problem? 

I hate to switch to Fire Stick, I like my Roku - especially the ability to add all streamers without worrying about corporate issues. But, having streamers I cannot watch because Roku has not upgraded with technology leaves me without a choice.  

Just please confirm for me there is no fix on this or any Roku for the soap opera effect.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I'm just another Roku user.  I've never noticed any such effect on a Roku so I've never looked for an option concerning it.  (It was VERY noticeable on my TV and I turned it off there.)  I don't recall it being mentioned on the forum, which was why your thread caught my eye.

I just did a quick search and I found some posts but they were all about TVs, which is where I expect this to be controlled.  But a deeper search might turn something else up.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.