Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkropko
Reel Rookie

Slow video, out of sync audio with NBA app

Jump to solution

I am trying to watch replays of games on the NBA app on a Roku 4200X - Roku 3, software version 10.0.0. The NBA App is version 3.9, build 1.

I experience an issue in which the video playback occurs slightly slower than normal (about 80% speed). The audio plays back at normal speed however, so the video and audio end up out of sync.

I've seen this issue happen multiple times, dating to the end of last season. Most recently it is present for both the replay Lakers and Kings feeds of their Oct. 14 game, and the broadcast of the Nets/Timberwolves game as well.

Based on when the issue has occurred, it doesn't seem to matter whether the game was on NBA TV or another channel. The issue has happened for live broadcasts and recordings. It only seems to affect the NBA app, and it not present for other Roku apps or for watching NBA league pass on a phone or laptop.

I have tried uninstalling the app, restarting the Roku, and reinstalling the app, but it has not solved the issue. I also cleared the Roku cache, and that hasn't worked.

I've also reached out directly to NBA.com's support, but I would very much appreciate your help resolving this issue as they haven't yet recommended a solution.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mook87

Re: Slow video, out of sync audio with NBA app

Jump to solution

Switched to the Roku Express 4K+ 2021 and now the NBA app works fine. Not sure what my older model is, but I’ve had it for many years. 

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
fishbpm

Jump to solution

Im having the same issue. Its been persistent problem with roku going back at least the last 3 seasons. Some streams like abc are occasionally ok but the majority including all espn for sure have the problem all the time. Had to give up on the roku entirely and use my Sony android tv instead, which is annoying! Im not sure whether roku or nba are responsible for compatibility, it looks like they may not be talking to each other given its been going on for several years, would be really nice if someone could roll out an update!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jkropko @fishbpm

Thanks for the posts.

Is this the only channel you are experiencing this issue with? If so, this is likely an indication that there is an issue with the channel itself that the channel provider will need to investigate further.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Mook87

Jump to solution

I’m experience this same issue. Happens almost immediately, and it’s not even close to synced up. Pretty unwatchable, which is a bummer 

Mook87

Jump to solution

Switched to the Roku Express 4K+ 2021 and now the NBA app works fine. Not sure what my older model is, but I’ve had it for many years. 

Bigmo99

Jump to solution

Happens to me too. I have the same roku model 4200x. Also happens on my other TV which is a rokutv.

To watch a game I have to use my laptop and run a hdmi cable to my TV. Works fine except the mess of cables on the floor.  Wish Roku and NBA league pass could fix this issue.

0 Kudos
DAL21

Jump to solution

I also have a Roku 3, which worked fine last season, but get exactly the same video lag issues now - with video in slow motion but sound at full speed, making the games unwatchable.  Is only on the NBA app.  Wish ROKU could help / advise solution rather than just blame NBA as unfortunately going to have to look for another player that actually is compatible with everything it says it is 😞

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @DAL21

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Since the issue only occurs on one channel, have you tried removing it then re-install it back in? If not, we recommend giving it a shot. Feel free to follow the steps below:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Navigate to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
galenapass
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue.  Video playback lags behind the sound.  I tried uninstalling the NBA app and resetting the Roku as described above.  No difference. 

galenapass
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just tried watching the NBA league pass on my computer and that works fine.  Also tried another roku on another tv and the NBA app works fine on that system. Netflix and Prime run fine on the original system where I am having problems. I have a Roku stick on the problem system, no idea what version it is. Also have a stick on the system that works.

0 Kudos