Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sillybilly
Level 7

Sling streaming causes lock up after 1.5 hours of playing

3930x Roku express locks up every Monday night when I'm watching football on sling, but only after I've been watching for one or two hours. The video freezes, device becomes unresponsive and I have to restart to solve. Both sling and Roku are fully updated, and the Roku was just purchased a few weeks ago from Amazon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sling streaming causes lock up after 1.5 hours of playing

The first thing that comes to mind is make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not your TV's USB port.  Does it feel like it could be overheating when this happens?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sillybilly
Level 7

thanks for response, yes using supplied power cable and I guess I can touch it next time to see if it feels extra hot to the touch. It's mounted on side of TV so no reason it should be hotter than normal, unless the device isn't shutting off when not in use?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Roku devices never really shut off, although I understand there's a new Power setting with the 10.5 update that I've yet to see.  When not actively streaming they consume very little power, so should have a chance to cool down.  While I find it hard to believe that an HDMI cable can have an effect on such an issue, people have reported that using a different HDMI cable has solved all sorts of strange problems.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sillybilly
Level 7

Just went to touch it and it's barely warm .... haven't used it in 18 hours.

Seems silly not have have an auto shutdown mode. Will keep my eyes open for update that provides that ability.

The really sad part is I'm already passed my 30 days since purchase so cannot return 😞

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Sillybilly

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Sillybilly
Level 7

Thanks Danny R. I've done your suggestion and had the channel streaming now for 4 hours without issue. Problem might now be solved. I'll update this thread of I see the issue again.

0 Kudos