Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceidem
Reel Rookie

Sling stopped working, was working before

Jump to solution

Issue report tracker:

Model 3941X2

SN: X022005GE64E (S0HAK28GE64E)

Software version: 12.0.0 build 4178-E4

GC version 9.1.120

Issue ID: 4E-171-672

Sling app was working but now gets past splash screen and stops at black screen with orange circle. Screen save kicks in and eventually timer turns of device - Sling never starts. Also contacted Sling support and they claim no outages and no app issues with Roku.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Sling stopped working, was working before

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience while we worked with the channel partner to investigate the issue.

At this time, we believe this issue has been resolved. If you are still experiencing an issue, we would recommend checking for a channel update by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button > Check for updates

After checking for an update, let us know if you are still experiencing a channel playback issue.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
53 REPLIES 53
rhythm1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Sling will not start. I have 5 Rokus and they all have the same problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Sling app, but no success.

The Sling app works on my phone, so Sling is working. This is a Sling app issue on Roku. 

glilly1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine stopped working also. We have about 6 devices. I'm trying to contact support via chat to report it but they keep trying to treat it like it's an isolated incident.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @glilly1

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on Sling TV or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel Sling TV and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
rhythm1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The only channel that doesn't work on my Rokus is Sling. I tried the uninstall, reboot, install process with no success. The Sling app stopped working almost 2 days ago on all 5 of my assorted Roku devices. The Roku software was updated to version 12 Build 4178 around the same time. 

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi  @rhythm1

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs on the Sling TV channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting Sling TV Support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Turtles5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This also happened to me with 2 roku devices.  I will also contact sling. (Likewise I have tried deleting the sling app, rebooting the roku stick, etc. with no luck.)

RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Turtles5

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that your channel doesn't work on your Roku device.

We need to collect some information of your Roku device so that we can get the best resolution for this issue.

•  Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software version/build (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  •  Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,

Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rhythm1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I reported this problem 2 weeks ago and was told it was a Sling app issue.

I have 5 Rokus that will not load Sling. All other apps are working properly. 

All Roku devices are running Software version 12.0.0 Build: 4184

My streaming devices

Roku Stick (3600X)

Serial number: 5S462A253800 

Roku Stick (3800X)

Serial number: YF00E9791514

Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial number: YH00AN656630

Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial number: YH00CC944507

Roku Ultra

Serial number: X01000HRHA4C

Sling Version 8.72.0.8274 May 4, 2023

Issue ID 07-195-621

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rhythm1,

Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

We are currently aware of the issue and our appropriate team is working diligently to resolve the issue when streaming with the Sling TV channel. Rest assured that I have sent all your information and concerns to our Roku team. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos