Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kingsdotter
Reel Rookie

Sling TV issues -- worse than usual

Jump to solution

My Roku has had intermittent issues with Sling TV. Sometimes pausing and freezing, sometimes taking a long time to load. Usually uninstalling and reinstalling solves it. A few times I have had to do a factory reset and that helped. Well, none of the usual methods are working now. Sling TV take forever to load. Sits a long time at the logo screen for Sling then an orange spinning circle. It takes several minutes (as much as 5) before I can see the Sling home page. What's going on? I'm not seeing issues from the phone Sling app. 

I should mention I have 1GB fibre network and Roku reports 200+ mbs speed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kingsdotter
Reel Rookie

Re: Sling TV issues -- worse than usual

Jump to solution

Someone else is hijacking my issue and reporting people. The solution wasn't help, but I did find out that the app needed an update. I pressed the "*" key on my remote while Sling was highlighted and had it check for updates. Sure enough, one was there. After that it loads just fine. Maybe it was trying to update before loading and failed for some reason. I always thought apps updated themselves.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Try these steps:  

1. Remove the app.  
2. Settings > System > Power (if not applicable, skip to next step) > System restart.  
3. Reinstall the app.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
TVCritical

Jump to solution

Nope! The sound is still going in and out! And the PC version of the Sling app is fine. So no kudos. And a big fat report against the bad hint.

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TVCritical wrote:

So no kudos. And a big fat report against the bad hint.

What is that supposed to mean?  Do you want help, or not?

Vakko
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TVCritical  Roku does not develop the Sling channel. Sling does. Any issues you might be having should be directed at Sling support. If it was a Roku issue then you would be having sound issues on every channel. 

kingsdotter
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Someone else is hijacking my issue and reporting people. The solution wasn't help, but I did find out that the app needed an update. I pressed the "*" key on my remote while Sling was highlighted and had it check for updates. Sure enough, one was there. After that it loads just fine. Maybe it was trying to update before loading and failed for some reason. I always thought apps updated themselves.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@kingsdotter 

The Roku performs a daily automatic update check.  Should check for updates for both the Channels/apps as well as the Roku OS.  However, sometimes things may get out of sync or even corrupted/incomplete update.

Sometimes a good idea to do a Manual System Update, especially if having issues. (Settings/System/System Update).  This will perform the same function as the daily automatic update check.

Also, when reinstalling a Channel/app during troubleshooting, just keep in mind that you need to restart the Roku device to clear cache before reinstalling to ensure getting latest updated channel version. (Remove, Restart, Reinstall).

Good to hear back up and running.  For what its worth, Sling takes a little longer than other Channels/apps on my devices to initially load, but then works properly from there. (only using free version of Sling, so not sure how comparable that is.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TVCritical wrote:

If the help didn't help at all, it doesn't deserve kudos. And I've critiqued some YouTube videos where they give fake help on certain things. My issue is the Roku's Sling app's audio going in and out. The PC version doesn't have that problem. Pluto TV on Roku doesn't have that issue. There's no excuse for this.

It is not fake help; it’s obviously the fact that you’re supposed to do steps 1, 2 and 3 in the correct order.  3-1-2,  1-3-2 and 1-3 are not the same.  Clearly, based on your statements, it sounds like you don’t want help at all, and are just right off the hook blaming Roku for all your issues, even though Roku did not develop the Sling or PlutoTV apps themselves.  Sling is owned by Dish Network, and PlutoTV is owned by Paramount Global (formerly ViacomCBS), through Viacom, since 2019.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Stoneking
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yeah, that works, but guess what? The problem starts back up the next day. I have had to do that about five times now in the last week.

It's tiresome. This is a ROKU problem. They need to address it and fix it. 

0 Kudos