Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charliebrown99
Streaming Star

Re: SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes

Jump to solution

35 plus days since the **bleep** update. Come on Sirius and Roku, just load the old one back up, I had zero issues with it and it worked fine.

HAL9000_Y2K_VER
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Today is not a good day to test XM on Roku.  Around noon CST, I got the "something went wrong, try later OK" message multiple times trying to launch XM after the screen locks up and displays the wrong track name.  I got another one saying "having trouble loading favorites".  

Release still says 2.5 build 34.

I signed out and in multiple times.  Whenever SiriusXM crashes, it updates the Tune Start flag in Settings from off to on.  Then when you restart after a crash, it starts playing whatever was active at crash time.  Well this sneaky update may prevent it from clearing out the cache it was using at crash time.  You have to sign out to get the app to save the option value you chose.   This sneaky update behavior is not new for today.  Its been doing this since the May 16 update.  Prior to May, there were no settings that I remember. 

When you do get signed back in with tune start set to off, on the track details screen--which is the one it tends to get on--it displays the first song of the set list for that show and never changes for that channel no matter how many times you sign out and back in.   You have to hit the down arrow twice to get to the "GO LIVE" to force it to match the Satellite version of the show.  When XM is working, the track screen and actual audio will change to live version and title matches content.   Today, the "GO LIVE" button fails to update the track name.  I compared this behavior to what the car was playing/showing at the same time.   Car version is correct. 

Since the release info is no different than yesterday, XM is updating code outside Roku's control like a runtime library or XM is making data changes to a production system without testing those updates on their test production system if they have one. 

Track titles are now changing as of 13.55 CST or 20:55 CEST as the app shows on the progress bar for the current show.  I guess they thought, "let's fix this during lunch when no one is listening". 

Apparently, XM does not believe in minimal viable product.  

Smooch
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@HAL9000_Y2K_VER

I appreciate ... **bleep**, I am in awe ... of the technical expertise and tenacity with which you have confronted this situation ... much of it beyond my comprehension. I am reading the continuing frustration and tales of woe with empathy and sadness. I do think SXM is gonna lose more customers than Roku over this, which they probably deserve.

I do kind of wonder who bamboozled whom into what and how? There's a limited docuseries in here somewhere. It could be a Roku original! 😄

hat's off to you, and best wishes.

My sub is over July 2. I've been listening on the laptop, and it has been having its own spasmodic little eccentricities lately ...

0 Kudos
tcar384
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

having the same problem with sirius shutting down, sometimes in less than 20 minutes

0 Kudos
charliebrown99
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Another day of no fix.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It is absolutely nuts that SiriusXM hasn't been able to either fix the app or roll back the app after over a month.

However, the issue isn't impacting everyone. It works fine for me. But for those of you that are experiencing the issue, keep the pressure on SiriusXM to fix it for you.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Re: SiriusXM channel not playing continuously

Jump to solution

ROKU still kicks off Sirius XM after 1 or 2 songs. As suggested, I deleted the siriusxm app, then restarted Roku, and then reinstalled the SiriusXM app as instructed in your post.   But it didnt work. So, whose fault is it? Roku or SiriusXM?  I am about to cancel both subscriptions. I am that exhausted from trying to fix this.  Steven

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@stevenleescott wrote:

... So, whose fault is it? Roku or SiriusXM?...

Sirius XM. They built the app. Roku doesn't build the apps. Just like Apple TV, Fire TV, Android/Google TV, Roku is a platform for others to build apps.

@stevenleescott wrote:

... I am about to cancel both subscriptions. ...

Both? You have two SiriusXM subscriptions? Because you aren't referring to Roku, as there is no subscription to use a Roku device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MCMLXAD
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

i even closed the account and open a new one,by the way sirius gave me 4 month free for the new account.i can listen sirius without problems of any kind in my desktop,tablet anf cell phone but the issue with the app in the roku tv stick is still there, which is where i enjoy sirius the most.

0 Kudos
HAL9000_Y2K_VER
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Somehow XM has outsmarted yesterday's workaround.  It has been crashing after 29 minutes using the 2.4 GHz router on a dedicated channel used by no other devices in this network.  After resetting all options in XM back to off, signing out of XM, removing XM from Roku, restarting Roku, adding XM back, then launching XM, it still times after less than 30 minutes—but more than 20 minutes after starting.

Yesterday’s workaround was to use an exclusive channel for the 2.4 Ghz band.  Speed according to Roku was 30 Mbs.  With the higher band on Router 2, speed is 149 Mbs.  Excessively fast for this app.  The 2.4 Ghz band is used by all other devices on multiple channels and multiple routers. 

Brute force fix:  Set up new connection to 5 Ghz band on Router 2.  Screen still locks up after 2 hours. This locking should be completely unrelated to  the RF interference.  This behavior should visible to anyone who can stream this app for it long enough to go insane. 

With the new configuration, it crashed after 2 hours 47 minutes.  I think I know why.  I limited my computer to use the fastest Router and band—the 5 Ghz. Now two devices are sharing the same RF frequency.  I am now using the computer and the meager requirements of building a reply in the forum is unacceptable to XM.  I expect XM to crash again as soon as press POST.

At around 2 hours, the details screen locks up.  E.g.,

Track details screen fix.jpg

Post screen lockup, you can trick the app since the remote still communicates.  Use the back arrow until the exit warning box pops up.  Cancel that and assuming previous screen was favorites, press down arrow twice to get to first line of channels saved.  Then use the arrows to select the other invisible channels.  When new channel is selected, the details screen will change but still be locked.  Strange thing happened today when re-selecting this channel after choosing another channel to clear out this channel.  When I selected channel 27 to do the reset, screen starting scrolling through all track names that has already been played in the current “show”.  It finally stopped and track name matched the audio for the current track.   Press down arrow twice and press “OK” to activate “GO LIVE”.  This navigation method is not exactly user friendly.   Normally, when a channel is selected, the screen does not scroll through all the tracks played while it catches up with some arbitrary point in the “show”.

Next level fix will be to put dedicated router near XM dedicated Roku box and use 2.4 GHz band.  If nothing else works, get new Router 3 hardwired to Router 1, put Roku near Router 3 and put these two devices in Faraday cage with a hole for the Roku remote.  I don’t have an RF spectrum analyzer so even this solution may not work. 

The RF capture ratio for the radio receiver inside the Roku box may not be small enough to differentiate between signals on the same frequency.    How only XM is negatively affected is a mystery.  XM should not be deciding which signal to use.  That job is more hardware/OS related.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.