Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DenKay
Binge Watcher

Sick of the BARBIE overload - ad - ugly dreamscape

The overkill on the Barbie advertisement is obnoxious. It looks like it absolutely horrendous. But seriously it is plastered everywhere. I know Roku is not an alone in this insane push!  If you have to put it in every nook and corner of Roku, it means people really don’t want to see it

5 REPLIES 5
Osnapo

Re: Sick of the BARBIE overload - ad - ugly dreamscape

Yeah ugh why did ROKU set my theme to a left wing ideology movie without my permission? I would like to know why. 

0 Kudos
RemoteShooter
Channel Surfer

I also don't like when my screen changes without permission, whether it's Barbie or just "Spring" etc... (happens a couple of times a year it seems).

Just change your wallpaper setting to a basic screen. Seems to work for me, for the most part.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

You can try changing/disabling the Wallpaper Settings and see if that helps stops some of these.

Settings/Theme/Sponsored Wallpapers/[Off]

Settings/Theme/Seasonal Wallpapers/[Off]

-----

The above won't really help with ads, but should address the wallpaper/theme changes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Osnapo

Yeah I found the setting after I asked. Is this new? I don't remember roku ever promoting a movie much less THIS one. They must have paid ROKU a lot of money to advertise this toxic movie. It's funny they don't show any of the woke ideology in the trailer lol 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Osnapo 

This setting (Sponsored Wallpapers) is relatively new.  I believe it started with OS12, as I do not remember seeing it in OS11.5.  The Seasonal Wallpaper has been around for quite a while. (maybe OS9 if not before).

-----

I haven't seen any of the Barbie advertising on my devices.  Some of the Roku wallpapers are a bit more affected than others though.  If additional ads show up on the wallpaper itself (normally lower left), then usually changing to another default Roku wallpaper may also help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos