Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fastjibe
Reel Rookie

Screen Saver resume crashes YoutubeTV

While paused from watching YoutubeTV, the screen saver kicked in. Hitting Play causes YoutubeTV crash and starts downloading some Roku Channel. Reboot did not help.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Screen Saver resume crashes YoutubeTV

@Fastjibe 

Thanks for the post.

What screensaver are you using? Have you tried changing the screensaver to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Fastjibe
Reel Rookie

The crash occurred with 2 different screen savers. The default one and another one that I tested. The crash occurs when I hit play for exiting the screen saver into my paused video that I was playing on YoutubeTV.

0 Kudos
s-havens
Reel Rookie

Having the same problem!  Were you able to get it fixed?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Try using any (non-TV control, if appropriate) button other than Play to dismiss the screensaver.  I know it seems intuitive to use Play to restart your video, but that first button pressed when the screensaver is active only dismisses the screensaver and possibly installs some unwanted channel in the case of the Play button.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
s-havens
Reel Rookie

That seems to be working- thanks so much for the tip!! 

0 Kudos
UncleMilt

I believe the problem stems from the mini-ads included in the screensaver. They advertise a program on a service other than YouTube TV and include the play button icon, which appears to mean that if you press play it will take you to that program, thereby closing YTTV and opening another app.

It's truly infuriating. After a lifetime of using play to resume a paused program, I now have to use another button? How unintuitive. What knucklehead at Roku thought this was a good idea?

Fastjibe
Reel Rookie

UncleMilt: I don't think someone at Roku did this without thinking. I am pretty sure it was conscientious decision that nets Roku more money. I am pretty sure that "it causes a lot of problem" is very low on their priority list. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@UncleMilt

Thanks for the post.

The easiest way to avoid this would be the recommendation of not pressing the Play or OK button on your remote from trying to wake up your Roku device from the screensaver. Have you tried pressing any of the directional buttons from the screensaver to see if the issue persists?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Draven1992
Reel Rookie

Same here. Though it’s regular YouTube that crashes 

0 Kudos