Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku3 firmware update causing app crashes

Last Update has ruined my #roku3. Today, keeps freezing, #YouTube & #Disney apps crashed the entire device, black screen, the rebooted on its own several minutes later.

Webtop App menus also have been lobotomized.  For ALL Roku apps, the Star rating and Feedback dialogue are gone. 

The "#" auto spell correct is making its use very tedious. My device already insists on auto correcting. Your editor is mangling things even more. 

Why do companies insist on pushing updates that break their products?!

Roku Model 4200X 

software 12.5.0, build 4182-04

Micro SD 5% used (3.5/64gb)

Ethernet connection (wired)

Updated Nov 18 2023 3:21am EDT, Software Update "check now" returns "All software is up to date."

This Problek began this morning. No other network issues are presented on other devices. Fiber ISP at 300mb/s.

Check Connection returns:

Wireless at 49mb/s

Wired at 56mb/s

Bandwidth Saver: Off

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku3 firmware update causing app crashes

First thing I would try would be a system restart.

Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" under "Settings > System > Power", or if you have no Power option, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Cheredia

I have reset my router, factory reset my Roku, deleted and reinstalled apps, removed and reconnected to the network, and many other “suggested” fixes and mine is still crashing. 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Cheredia,

A friendly welcome from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

• What Roku device are you using right now?
  • What do you see on your screen when you’re trying to play content?
  • Is the issue happening on all contents/channels or is this isolated to 1 content/channel?
  • Are you getting any error messages or error codes when trying to play content?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rumbler
Reel Rookie

I would like to add to your frustrations with Roku updates. I have several Roku models. Today my Roku Express's crashed from an attempt to update firmware. It keeps looping and all I can do YET again is do a Factory Reset. This is ridiculous! Last May 2023, an update to my Roku $100 Premier crashed it. A Factory Reset did not fix this box and now is a paperweight. 

When you do Factory Resets, the apps stop working and sometimes won't even reload from your account. Examples are: Pandora, Amazon Music, Disney+, Hulu.... I had to do a Factory Reset 3 times to get it to stabilize. Then you have customize your home screen all over again...

I tried the "Magic" diagnostics from the remote and you can revert to a previous firmware.

What is up with Roku? I still have my original version 1 box and it sill works... though old as heck... 

Forcing firmware updates with no rollback feature is poor customer service. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Rumbler

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand the crashing issue you've encountered with your Roku device despite the troubleshooting steps performed, and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. We'd like to collect further information regarding the issue. Kindly provide the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further. 

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos