Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bear77
Level 7

Roku media player no longer lets me watch movies from an external drive

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku media player no longer lets me watch movies from an external drive

@Bear77

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Bear77
Level 7

Sure when I bought my tcl 32 inch Roku tv 3 months ago at Walmart  ,I used to be able to plug my Seagate one terabyte  external hard drive into the USB port  filled with downloaded movies on it , and use the Roku media player option on the tv itself to watch movies from it. Now the Tcl 32 inch Roku tv got an update and it says that it no longer supports the format of my Seagate external hard drive and I can no longer watch any movies , I've tried factory resetting the tv twice now hoping that it would work , but it still continues to tell me that it's no longer supported format . Yet my Seagate external hard drive works perfectly on my 4k LG tv , and my Samsung 4k and my Sony Bravia 4k tv . I absolutely hate this thing , I'm about to take the Roku tv outside and sit it on the curb for the trash I'm so sick of dealing with it. In between that and it's lack of connecting to my wifi modem sitting next to the tv , is unacceptable after spending 200.00 on this thing . This tv was bought for over a bar in my business and so far isn't living up to anything advertised . 

0 Kudos
RokuIrene-S
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Bear77
Thanks for posting here in the Community.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

All the best,
Irene

0 Kudos

Something pretty significant and likely "under the hood" was changed with 10.5 regarding how it reads/accesses USB drives. I ended up having to wipe mine and reformat to FAT32 instead of NTFS for it to work.

That's not a reasonable option for most folks, however if you have a spare drive it might be worth testing out. You still get up to 4 GB file size with FAT32.

0 Kudos