Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B2024
Channel Surfer

Roku device problem. When I start watching something, it returns to the Roku home page and I have to

Hello,

Every time I turn on my TV, my Roku device slowly brings up the Roku home page. Then, while surfing the channels or watching something on Netflix, the system suddenly returns to the Roku landing page. This also happens while watching normal live channels or browsing YouTube. It's very annoying. I reset my device to factory settings, but it didn't fix it. It was connecting to the internet via Wi-Fi, now I connected it via cable and the problem still persists.
I am sharing the features of the Roku device I use below.

4200X-Roku 3
Serial Number: 1GS3C6064510
Software version: 12.5.5 * build 4174-04

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku device problem. When I start watching something, it returns to the Roku home page and I ...

Hi @B2024,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the experience you've encountered with your Roku device. We also appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've provided to try to resolve the issue. We'd like to gather more details regarding the issue you've encountered. Kindly provide the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
B2024
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku device problem. When I start watching something, it returns to the Roku home page and I ...

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 7.34.18 PM.jpg

Hello,

Please let's find a quick solution. Because this situation is very annoying.

1) I added a picture, you can access the device information from there.
2) This constant does not happen on certain channels. It happens sometimes when trying to watch Netflix, sometimes while browsing YouTube, and sometimes when watching channels on live TV.
3) I made a small video about the problem I was experiencing, but I could not upload it to your system. I couldn't see an option to upload a video.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @B2024,

Thanks for the response!

We appreciate you for giving us your device information. However, in some cases, that resolves the issue. Make sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you remove a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before seeing the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device: If reaching the power cord to unplug your Roku device is inconvenient, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > PowerSystem Restart > Restart. (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Reinstall the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you add a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must re-subscribe.

For more references on how to troubleshoot any channel playback issues, you can visit our Support page.

Please keep us posted on how it goes this time.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Paul919
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue with our Roku Streambar. It's been happening for several months now: open app (Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Plex, etc.), app opens fine, gets to app start screen for a few seconds (sometimes even so far as selecting something to watch), then it closes the app and returns to the home screen. After that, when opening the app the second time, it works fine. This doesn't always happen - sometimes the app opens and works happily on the first try.

I've tried:

1. Rebooting

2. Factory reset

3. Uninstalling and reinstalling apps

4. Clearing the cache with a series of button presses reminiscent of gameboy cheat codes: select the "Home" menu, then press these keys on your remote: Home (5 times), Up (once), Rewind (2 times), and Fast Forward (2 times). Note - apparently, disconnecting the power for ~20secs and powering back up also clears the cache.

5. Selecting different (often lower resolution) video modes in Roku settings.

The problem keeps coming back.

I just got off the phone with Roku support and they recommended the power off/power on approach but didn't seem to have any kind of recommended fix. 

Sounds like a firmware update in the future might help with this. Hopefully Roku notes these reports and smashes this bug.

Honestly, it's not a game-breaker, as you can still use all apps. You just have to open them twice a lot of the time. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Paul919 

Sending you a warm welcome from me and everyone in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information to us, and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. We would be more than happy to look into this issue and we'll need more information. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
B2024
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, I did what you said, but the problem persists. I can't watch any channel properly. It kicks me to the Roku landing page every time. Today, when I pressed the home button 5 times and the back button 5 times, the warning I added below appeared. Maybe this will give you an idea. I have a Roku device now, but I can't watch anything. We still haven't found a solution.WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 1.59.22 PM.jpeg

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @B2024

We appreciate you for providing this information to us. This information and concern will be forwarded to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. Once more information is developed, we'll provide an update in this thread.

We hope for your patience and understanding as we work on this.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Paul919
Reel Rookie

I have a ticket opened separately, as I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread with my issue. I'll keep an eye on this thread and post back if I'm able to find a solution. Note that I have a Roku Streambar vice a Roku 3, as is the case for the OP; thus, it seems to be across different devices. 

0 Kudos