Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2beretired

Roku channel does not switch back to video after ads

I am having the problem, I have tried to watch This Old House on my Samsung TV,  Roku is installed. After ads, the show would not come on.  I have another TV with the streaming device connected.  Same show, same problem.  Today is the first time that I have had the problem...what is the solution?

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku channel does not switch back to video after ads

Hi @2beretired,

Thanks for bringing this concern to our attention.

Would you mind trying to restart your device by going to Settings > System > Power (skip if option unavailable) > System Restart? Also, may we know if the issue happens with all your devices?

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I followed your reset instructions and the problem continued. Program does not restart after as and going back just starts another round of ads

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lindamartine,

Thanks for making your first post here in the Roku Community!

Does this issue happen when streaming an on-demand show or during Live TV?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

When watching regular programming which I guess is On Demand, specifically “Bones”.  Thanks for your attention.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Lindamartine,

Thanks for the update,

If you see it coming up again, please provide us with the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
benastrada
Reel Rookie

OK so now, my Roku Streambar has developped the same problem! It was working fine, then it is no longer working. 

Issue: player stop playing and stays on a black screen for a while, then if left untouched, will go to standby screen and ultimately switch off. This appears to happen when there is an advert break, the ads play then it all stops.

when / where does this happen: it has happened on ITVX and UKTV Play; it does not happen if I watch a YouTube video. I have watched a couple of things on BBC and not had the problem (altough of course, BBC does not have adverts!) 

what have I tried:

1) removing offending channels, then reinstalling - no change

2) updating channels as well as upating the device - no change

3) checked wifi signal - excellent 

4) made sure the 'automatic' whatever display something was off as suggested somewhere else - no change

5) reset the whole Roku device - no change 

6) switched off, left to cool (not that it was hot or anything, but you know, try everything!) - no change! 

7) removed channels again, reset the device, switched off and unplugged overnight, then back on etc - no change....

Please do not insult my intelligence by suggesting I need to buy a new router as as been suggested to others elsewhere on the forum. The device works with YouTube and with BBC, I have a very expensive Virgin Media super fast whatever and it has worked so far! This has only started a couple of weeks ago. 

Basically, I need to go back to the channel landing page, find the program I am watching again, then select the episode I want and resume play.... Really far from an enjoyable experience! 

This is on top of a remote controls that guzzles batteries like there is no tomorrow..... I will have to take a mortgage just to keep the flaming thing topped up with new batteries (and they're the expensive kind, not the **bleep** fake copies....) 

This whole Roku experience is extremely frustrating and annoying and does not make me want to take up any paid for subscription to anything; could you please provide a fix asap? I note some people were experiencing these issues at least two years ago! 

Looking forward to a prompt answer that will solve this for good! 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @benastrada,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and this is not what we aim for. We understand you're having a problem with your ITVX and UKTV since if there is a commercial break, the device will stop working. No worries; help is here. Can you please provide the following information that @RokuERey asked for above? In addition, could you provide us with a photo or video of your running problem?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to our appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                          John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Entwood
Reel Rookie

HI, in the last couple of weeks my Roku Expres has started to do the same, blank screen after an advert break on ITVX, needs to go right back to home screen and then back into ITVX. This is becoming VERY annoying. Details as requested above are :

Model : Roku Express 3930 EU

Serial No : X00400VRDESS

Software : 12.5.5 Build 4174-AE

Device ID : S01V307RDESS

Tracker ID : SS-062-733 (this seems to change every time I access it, so might not be the last occurence, sorry)

Hope that is what you need to trouble shoot this, as it is extremely annoying !  

Regards

E

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Entwood

Warmest of welcomes.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. We'd be more than glad to assist. In this instance, we recommend following the troubleshooting steps provided below:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel".
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

After performing this, kindly please check if you're still seeing the issue persists.

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos