Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Media Player stops playing video file midway through

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for flagging this to us.

We'd like to investigate things further and address this issue. Could you please elaborate on the issue you've experienced? The information you would provide would be a great help.

In addition, we'd like to request the following information.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur specifically on YouTube channels? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FlipperPA
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same exact issue.

And before you ask, Roku, I've tried the Uninstall / Reboot / Reinstall Roku Media Player suggestion. I understand you're reading from a script, but this does absolutely *nothing*.

The videos I have issues with always glitch and exit at the same exact time of playback, just like the others on this thread. The videos play just fine on other devices, including a TCL TV with Google Chromecast, and VLC Player on both MacOS and Windows 11 with the same USB flash drive. The USB file system is ExFAT for maximum compatibility.

Roku glitches on something in the video - is it possible it has some kind of bad codec installed? Sometimes it glitches, artifacting the video for several seconds before a keyframe seems to recover, but other times it completely exits the current video, and starts playing the next video from the same folder on the USB Flash Drive.

Sometimes when I re-encode the video using ffmpeg and the hevc_toolbox on my Mac, it helps... but not always. And I shouldn't have to do that for videos that play successfully everywhere else I've tested.

0 Kudos
FlipperPA
Reel Rookie

Just a follow up - this is clearly an issue with the Roku Media Player. I dropped $3.99 on the PlayUSB app from the Roku store, and it works just fine. If you're having issues, give this solution a whirl. We shouldn't have to spend an additional $3.99, but for a relatively low cost, it eliminated the headaches from Roku Media Player.

Here's a link to the PlayUSB "channel": https://channelstore.roku.com/details/a1d7cf8205975821c6257f6fa4b8d30b/play-usb

0 Kudos
Harvey108
Channel Surfer

I also started having the same problem around 2 weeks ago. My unit is a 2020 Roku Ultra is model 4800R.

0 Kudos
CC111

Same problem ever since the software 12.5.0, built 4178-46 was installed.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We appreciate your effort to reach us!

We will be happy to assist you with this matter, but we will need to gather more details. Can you please provide the following information that @RokuTakashi posted above?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to our appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Harvey108
Channel Surfer

The error happened again a few minutes ago. I was playing a video with Roku Media Player and it stopped about 40% of the way in. It has nothing to do with YouTube, obviously. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k6IM6eQB0PpMGP8SIywe27OZ6ncioXue/view?usp=sharing is a copy of the message that I received when following your instructions, but, for your convenience, I am giving you here the information typed out:

Model: 4800X - Roku Ultra

Serial number X01000HD5JDH (S02A212D5JDH)

Software Version 12.5.0 build 4178‑C2

GD Version 10.4.37

Tracker ID DH‑498‑129

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Harvey108,

Thanks for sharing with us this information!

We'll take it from here and we'll forward this over to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jdel68
Channel Surfer

I can play the exact same .mp4 files on the exact same USB Flash Drive on my Samsung Smart TV's built-in media player without issue.  The issue only appeared after Roku Version 12.5.0 came out after using Roku Media Player for over three years.

0 Kudos
Loco757
Reel Rookie

It’s def a mp4 issue!!! I converted the files to .mov and it played fine… (which I shouldn’t have to do that either way) but that’s the only way it worked for me

0 Kudos