Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spinster
Reel Rookie

Roku Media Player stops playing video file midway through

I'm also having the exact same issue, including being able to play the file if I fast forward past the point that the file usually kicks out to the Roku home screen, and it does kick out from the Roku media player at the exact same point every time.

0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Media Player stops playing video file midway through

Hi @Spinster,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your sharing this information regarding the Roku Media player that stopped working when navigating to playback. We definitely want to assist you, and here are some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue below:

• Remove and Reinstall the Roku Media Player: Navigate to the Roku Channel Store, search for the Roku Media Player, and then select Remove by pressing the start (*) button. We suggest starting there. Then, restart your Roku device by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.  After this, add the channel back in to ensure the process is successful.
  • Check the network connection: Make sure that your Roku device is connected to a stable network connection. Go to the Settings menu, select Network, and then choose Check Connection to test the network connection.

Once the provided steps have been performed, kindly check to see if you notice any difference.

Please let us know how it works by keeping us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spinster
Reel Rookie

Thank you but your solution did not work. 

Steps I took below

1. Remove USB device
  2. Delete files that stopped
  3. Replaced files that stopped with confirmed files that work
  4. Remove Roku Media Player
  5. Restart Roku
  6. Add back Roku Media Player
  7. Insert USB drive
  8. Play the 2 problem files. (2 of >60 files)

The same files are stopping playback at the same time they stopped playback before I reinstalled the app, with one difference. Now when the file stops playing, it kicks the Streambar to the home page. Previously, it used to kick me out to the file page in the media player.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Spinster, Roku devices aren't very tolerant of bad video files.  If you play the video on any other media player (like VLC on a computer), do you see any kind of glitch at the point where RMP chokes?  I would suggest re-encoding the video using something like ffmpeg or Handbrake.  You may be able to use one of them to just copy the video and audio tracks into a new file without re-encoding anything.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jdel68
Channel Surfer

It has nothing to do with the quality of the video files.  I have been using .mp4 files on a flash drive for four years with Roku Media Player, and the random quitting and sending you back to the home screen only started after Roku Version 12.5.0 was released.  It happens on a Roku Ultra 2019 and a Roku Ultra 2022 using various flash drives and various .mp4 file, new and old.  Roku needs to issue a fix for this.  I am currently running Software Version 12.5.0 Build 4178.  I have deleted and reinstalled Roku Media Player several times, and that does not cured the random quitting back to the home screen issue.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jdel68,

Thanks for taking your first post here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you have already taken the troubleshooting steps by removing and adding the Roku Media Player. Please note that you need to perform a system restart with your device before adding back the Roku Media Player.
If you haven't tried it yet, we would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart. (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.)

Please let us know what you find out.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jdel68
Channel Surfer

I believe I tried that whole routine before, Delete Roku Media Player - Reboot - Reinstall Roku Media Player - Reboot.  I just did it again.  The version installed now is Version 5.5 Build 13.  I will let you know if anything improves.

0 Kudos
Loco757
Reel Rookie

Has anybody had a solution for this yet??? I am trying to surprise my son with a video that I will play on Christmas Day that is only a min and a half long and it stops at the same point everytime.. and I’ve done the whole restart, re install etc etc…

0 Kudos
Spinster
Reel Rookie

Hi Reno - my files play just fine on other players including my laptop and direct to my Google TV. We shouldn't have to re-encode files that work perfectly fine elsewhere just to make them work on Roku's media player.

I've resigned myself to the fact that Roku will never fix this problem and just use my TV to play everything now. No problems since!

0 Kudos
jdel68
Channel Surfer

Luckily my new Samsung TV has a built-in Media Player and the files that randomly quit while using the Roku Media Player play perfectly using the Samsung Media Player.  That's using the same USB Flash Drives that I try to use with the Roku.   It's definitely a software glitch with the Roku Media that I believe worsened with Roku Version 12.5.0.

0 Kudos