Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PleaseHelp1
Level 8

Roku Express + using composite connections - Prime says HDMI connection issue

I use a Roku 3910RW Express+ with composite connections (not HDMI).  When I start playing an Amazon Prime program it provides the following message.    "HDMI connection.  There is a problem with the connection to your TV. Try using a different HDMI cable."   For help go to amazon.com/videohelp. Amazon webpage has no good info. . Roku works fine for other streaming channels.  I removed Prime, restarted Roku and added Prime back.  Still have same issue. Does anyone have an suggestions?  Thank you !!!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express + using composite connections - Prime says HDMI connection issue

That's a good one.  To be honest, it sounds like a bug in their code.  There was another report of someone using an HDMI to RCA converter having the same issue, but I figured it was the converter used.  You're just using the connections built into the box.  Did this problem just start?  Did your Roku recently update to software version 10.5?  Check the software version displayed under Settings->System->About.  I suppose the update could also have a bug.  It's not like it's been bug-free.  Smiley Happy

I don't know if @RokuDanny-R has any suggestions.  Finding someone at Amazon that can help could be tough.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PleaseHelp1
Level 8

Re: Roku Express + using composite connections - Prime says HDMI connection issue

Thank for you reply.

I am using the composite connector that came with the Roku..  Problem just started. 

Did your Roku recently update to software version 10.5? No, I am on software version 10.0.0 build 4209-51.

Roku device works fine for other streaming channels. Only Prime has the issue.  This leads me to believe it maybe a Prime software issue.  Had a 2.5 hour call with Prime they have sent the issue to their technical team.

0 Kudos
cjheritage
Level 8

Same problem here. Same Roku, composite connection, getting the HDMI error in the Prime app on Roku. Hope it’s a bug they can/will fix. 

0 Kudos
yomamajones
Level 7

Same Problem. Roku Express w/o HDMI, using A/V cables. Roku updated to 10.5 on 11/11 but Amazon Prime started displaying the problem today. Reseated the video cables. Every other app works flawlessly.  I dread having to talk to prime support as I expect them to just blame everyone else. From what I can tell, this is not an isolated issue. Roku marking this thread as solved is unhelpful as well. This issue has NOT been solved.

0 Kudos
PleaseHelp1
Level 8

Correct issue is not resolved.  Accidentally, marked as solved.

I don't know how to change it back to an open issue. 

FYI,  Amazon rep sent me an email and assured me they would get back to me on Monday with an update on the issue.

It's good that I know others are having the same issue.  I will update as I get more info.

KJ72
Level 7

Yes, I am having the same issue. Just started yesterday after an update. Also using composite cables instead of hdmi. 

0 Kudos
PleaseHelp1
Level 8

Amazon contacted me.  The solutions they provided did not work for me.  They may help others. I have provided Amazon with more info.  The issue is still open.   You may want to contact Amazon also.  The fastest way is:

Sign-in to Amazon and then go to link below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us/

Then click on  “Need help over the phone?  We can call you.”

FYI here is what Amazon suggested, which didn't fix the issue for me.

Update the device Software by going in to the TV Settings. Also, check whether there are any updates pending for the Prime Video app by navigating to the app store (e.g. LG Content Store, Samsung app store etc?)
If all above fail , complete a full TV factory reset ( you will need to re-setup all their streaming apps), For help with FR, go to Device support page.

0 Kudos
tj3
Level 7

I have the same problem with the same Roku Express setup. It started Friday night. I watched a program on Prime Friday morning with no problems. I tuned in to watch the next episode that night and got the HDMI connection warning.

After checking for updates, using the System restart for Roku and shutting down my entire router connection, I called Amazon on Saturday. I had downloaded the Amazon Music app to see if the problem was an Amazon thing or just Amazon Prime. Amazon Music connected and played with absolutely no problems, and it's still working.

Despite the fact that Amazon Music connected and EVERY other platform was working but Amazon Prime, the rep tried to blame my Roku unit. When I explained that others with the same Express-composite connection had just started having the same problem, they said they would get back to me within three business days. It's Monday night, and Prime is still down.

Hopefully, with more people posting and contacting them, they will keep working until the problem is solved.

0 Kudos
PleaseHelp1
Level 8

Roku updated to 10.50 build 4208-51 .  I can now play Amazon Prime. However, if I exit Prime using the back arrow (several clicks) the Roku home screen overflows the TV screen.  Only about 20% of it shows. I then have to restart Roku to fix the issue.  However, if I exit Prime using the Home button the Roku home screen is fine.  Hope this helps.  I will be exiting Prime using the Home button from now on.