Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

Roku Express 4k+ crashes often

Roku Express 4k+ is crashing daily. Some days the blue led on the front of the device will remain illuminated indefinitely even when idle and tv is off for extended periods of time; Power saving is enabled. I notice the unit crashes most often when switching to Disney+ shortly after playing content but there are also other scenarios. Generally speaking I am happy with your service. Thank you.

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Express 4k+ crashes often

I am now seeing that the Roku is never powering off. The blue led representing its awake status is illuminated 24/7 where before recently it would turn off after a short time when idle. Curiously, it would turn off before I enabled the power saving option. After I enabled power saving is when I began to notice the device stopped powering down. 

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

Evidently the issue related to the Roku device not powering off or truly idling has been caused by the Roku official iOS application being connected to it. Even though the application was not in use it wanted to remain connected to whatever ends to the Roku itself. I am yet to determine if this has also solved the crashing of the Roku device when streaming content from different sources.

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

Another problem within the Roku device is with the wallpapers. There are a number of preinstalled or passively downloaded wallpapers and most of which I could successfully delete. There are a few that cannot be deleted and do not provide an option to delete as they are preinstalled, built in backgrounds. The problem is that one wallpaper, not a theme, that seems to be broken is titled “Summer in the Bay,” which is a dynamic wallpaper. Exactly as any other removable/deletable content would when selected is an option to ‘remove wallpaper’ which should delete the wallpaper from the device. This option does nothing for this wallpaper. It remains on the Roku.

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

From what I can tell so far the crashing of the Roku device upon streaming content especially from Disney+ seems to also have been corrected by the disconnection and subsequent uninstallation of the “Roku (official)” iOS phone application.

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos
Dvburnsii
Binge Watcher

For a few days it appeared the crashing was corrected but that is not the case. As I am switching between services, usually to Disney+, the Roku will crash. After rebooting I am able to stream content successfully. 

David V. Burns II
0 Kudos