Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkRichards
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Channel Won't Play Anything At All

Jump to solution

The problem symptom is that nothing plays on the Roku channel, but other channels work. This happens on the Roku device AND the android app. So it clearly isn't important what the details of the roku device are. Is it possible Roku servers are blocking some ISPs such as Bell Fibe?

avedail
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R @MarkRichards 

Danny, I sent the information you requested at least two weeks ago so you should have that and it should already have been passed along to whatever element of the Roku team you have been referring to that should  be addressing this issue. I saw that other people also sent you those details. So for those of us who have provided it, please give us an update on the progress.

But Mark makes an excellent point. It's the same with me - nothing associated specifically with Roku will play on any device I have tried. And all other channels I am subscribed to play just fine, including through my Roku device. This would seem to indicate that it is NOT the device. Based on the numerous complaints about this problem, it would seem almost impossible that all of us who are having this problem have the same devices and we certainly can't all have the same service providers in terms of how we connect. This all keeps pointing back to a Roku problem. 

It may be Roku's thinking that we purchased a device only, but that's not true. We also purchased access to programming which we are unable to access - and have not been able for some time. So we're not getting what we paid for. 

I purchased my device in early December and this problem started before the end of December. So it's been going on for almost a month for me. Sounds like there are others who have had the issue even longer. I was delighted with Roku at first but right now I don't think I'd be able to encourage anyone I know to go with Roku. 

I have to ask why Roku is not taking this more seriously. As a relatively new customer, I'd like to know if this is an example of the customer service I can expect.  

I have to say that when I've had issues with other providers in the technology arena, they typically scramble to correct issues immediately. What message does this send about how much Roku values its customers and how committed you are to stand behind your product? 

avedail
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

As far as the additional information you requested, here are my responses:

• steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing - This is not complicated. I simply try to watch something/anything that is provided specifically by Roku. 
  • what is happening when this issue occurs - Mostly NOTHING. When I click on the Roku channel option it will bring up options to watch. When I select a program or movie it will bring up the details on that selection. When I click "PLAY" it will show "Loading" but goes right back to the initial screen that came up in response from making a selection from the Roku menu of programming. I can sit and click "Play" all day and it is just stuck in this cycle. I have tried all the resets and such that are recommended, both on the website and within this community topic, but none of those suggestions have changed anything.   

I hope this helps but believe it has already been made clear by numerous participants in this discussion.

Anything you can do and/or updates you can provide are greatly appreciated. 

GMTC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So, to be clear...

We all have the same issue, all content from the Roku channel won't play, it just refreshes the screen and nothing happens.

We all have posted our devices information many times...

Roku support just disappears or they repeat over and over again. It makes me think that they either don't know how to actually fix the problem or they are just like "whatever, it's free content anyway..." And simply don't care.

avedail
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

As @ms77 said, this seriously erodes our trust as consumers in Roku - both the product and the company. And there certainly seems to be no concern on Roku's part about customer service. 

And as @GMTC commented, maybe their attitude is that it doesn't matter because it is free content. But actually, it's not. It is something we were told we would receive along with our purchase of the equipment. 

So the missing content should not be taken so lightly. If Roku does not have the technical knowledge to correct this, there are certainly people out there who do - so either hire them and get this repaired or start compensating your customers who are without the content we understood we were purchasing along with our equipment.

I agree with other comments that the concept and general performance of Roku seems to be good. But if providing content is this hard for you, when all the other streaming/programming services we subscribe to don't seem to be having any problems, what happens if there's a more serious issue? Will Roku just shut down and we'll then have nothing we can connect to through Roku. 

Roku, you should be more transparent. You HAVE to know there's a problem. Lots of people have certainly posted about it and @RokuDanny-R has communicated with us about it. But there has been no action. Let us know what's going on and when we can expect a repair. @RokuDanny-R we appreciate your communications and involvement. But since you are not seeming to get any cooperation from your tech or customer service departments, is there someone else we can communicate with to try to get this problem pushed up the ladder and get the attention of whatever department can actually address it? 

Thank you!

slinkyaroo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I totally agree with those that are not pleased with Roku channel. There is playback issues with Roku channel. Been going on for a long time. On three different devices I own and three different platforms. It's not unique to me, it's not a surprise to anybody so stop acting that way Roku. Roku cut and paste responses are not the solutions.

Like others, every other channel can playback on Roku devices except Roku Channel on Roku platforms.

So what gives? Does Roku developers just not get it? Don't care? Adding something different like tracking cookies or some kind of marketing software that others don't? Obviously there is something in your software that other developers don't have issues with.

As a long time Roku owner I have seen channels, that worked, set up by people working out of their home and using it as a hobby. However, Roku's "team" does not accept they fail on their own platform. Roku owners have understood that the Roku "team" has failed. Also Roku owners are tired of repeatedly going through cut and paste steps by Roku when Roku should by now acknowledge the issues are on their end.

Dodobird4

Re: Roku Channel will not load

Jump to solution

I have just downloaded Roku last night. The new programs will play, but none of the other free channel will play. I deleted it and reinstalled, still nothing is happening.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Channel will not load

Jump to solution

Hey @Dodobird4

Thanks for reaching out.

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Ezsfarm

Jump to solution

This is exactly what is happening on all our Roku devices as well. Exactly as @avedail had typed up. I thought it was a payment issue(even though it never said anything) updated payment info and still nothing. We've done EVERY SINGLE thing asked/told to do. Very frustrating to say the least. 

0 Kudos
slinkyaroo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Here's a YouTube video I made to show the playback issues we are talking about.

Would you believe it ... one of the shows actually loaded and played back.

Roku Channel playback issue 

BTW... Live TV does work for me.

0 Kudos