Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJPnFL
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Channel Double Sets of Commercials after Stall

Brainless response from a do nothing company. This has been dragging on for months. What does it take to motivate you to fix the problem. Here, I just sent you a virtual participation trophy... does that help? Oh sorry got to go as my ROKU is locked up AGAIN!

Dash2
Channel Surfer

The problem is getting worse. Can this get escalated to higher ups. 

0 Kudos
Dash2
Channel Surfer

by it’s getting worse now it’s not saving where I last was when watching so after the ads crash or freeze at then end and I go press the back button it dosent save my spot so I have to search for it and then it replays the ads again. And let me be clear the freeze is happening after the ads have played to their full time, the timer in the corner hits zero and when it should be playing the tv show it just gets stuck. It’s to the point I was not watching anything on the Roku channel. It did not used to do this, I have unplugged my device, I have reset it. I sincerely believe this is a technical issue with Roku that they need to fix on there end and not an issue with the device or internet. As this did not used to happen.

OmegaT
Channel Surfer

@Dash2 I noticed that now too, I been avoiding watching anything on Roku Channel but tried a few episodes of show last week and after backing out of the "freeze", I was back at beginning or the previous ad break spot. Just awesome. 

MJPnFL
Channel Surfer

Look, if ROKU continues to care less about this issue the option is clear. Dump ROKU... period. This issue is a huge problem and all they do is placate. We the customers just want to watch the programming but ROKU can't figure out how to make that happen AND thinks the proper approach is to appease PAYING customers with platitude statements of concern as a way to handle their apparent lack of care. You know it's as plain as the nose on your face the difference between petting and stroking the frustrated customers and actually taking action to fix a problem. I could do much good working for this band of derelicts. MANY would get all the "personal time off" they could handle. That's code for digging out and firing incompetence.

0 Kudos
monophoto
Streaming Star

I'm experiencing this also when using my Roku Express.

I don't watch a lot of programming on the Roku Channel, but I've come to expect that it is going to happen every time I watch This Old House.  There is a 1.5-2 minute commercial break, and at the end the stream freezes.  The only way I have found to force the stream to resume is to back out, and then restart the program.  Of course that means that I then have to search for where the break occurred, and doing that triggers a second 1.5-2 minute commercial break. 

MJPnFL
Channel Surfer

Try "settings" "privacy" "advertising" and check "personalize ads". Scroll up to "sensitive ad content" and check all the boxes. When done, go back to "personalize ads" and then uncheck it. Back out to "settings" (select "don't personalize ads" on the way back out). Once back to settings select "system" and then "system restart". It isn't 100% but it seemed to help a bit. Don't expect the problem to go away but, for me, it got significantly better. You'll be an old man before ROKU gets around to addressing the issue. Hope it helps a bit.

0 Kudos
monophoto
Streaming Star

I followed the instructions from MJPnFL.  When I tried watching the next episode of This Old House, the commercials played normally with no freezing or repeating.  Success?

Unfortunately, no.  I then watched the next episode of Ask This Old House, and the stream froze on two consecutive commercials. 

So sorry, that suggestion doesn't work.

0 Kudos
MJPnFL
Channel Surfer

Yes I get mixed results on this too. I note some benefit but agreed, it isn't the answer. Okay ROKU you're on deck. I'll have to send them my birthdate so they can send annual updates as to how fast their techs are working on a real solution.

0 Kudos
Dash2
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the advice, luckily they took off the tv show I watching so I won’t be watching on there Roku channel anymore and then that means I will not run into this issue.

0 Kudos