Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phillipo
Reel Rookie

Remove racist advertisements from home screen

I was appalled to see "How the ****** stole Christmas" blatantly being advertised on the Roku home screen. I get they think it's "ok" to be racist, but I'd prefer not to see disrespectful slurs when trying to use my TV's basic functionality.  

How can I remove these?!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remove racist advertisements from home screen

@phillipo 

Then you may not like it when they advertise an old 2012 Mel Gibson movie when he is in a Mexican prison and they try to get him. "Get the (same term you find offensive)".

----

If the ad is on the right hand side of the Home Screen, hightlight the ad and press the (asterick) button on your Roku remote.  Then select "Hide this ad".  (that should prevent that particular ad from showing again).  Not sure if just affects the device, or is account-based (ie. won't show again on all linked devices).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
phillipo
Reel Rookie

Obviously. Sounds like you're not offended by racial slurs and probably a racist yourself. So go troll somewhere else, bigot. 

0 Kudos

Grinch is racist? Last time I checked green and furry is not a race. I guess you hate Kermit and Oscar too?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

So the next time my Colombian girlfriend calls me that word and smiles; instead of taking it as humor, I will let her know that she is a racist, and that I am likely both a racist and a bigot for not being offended.  Got it.  👍

----

Maybe just hide the ad with the instructions povided in the prior post and recall the old adage about sticks and stones.  Or not.

Seems like some today do not have to look too far to find something personally offensive, and even look forward to the endeavor.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

@phillipo I have no idea what the word was that was censored by the forum software. But you are way off mark calling someone else a racist. You were provided a workaround to ensure you don't see that ad again. Attacking that person with the words you used reflect very poorly on yourself, and makes you look like the troll. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.