Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djkdlhsfjk4489
Reel Rookie

Remove "Live TV" tile from a Roku Ultra (v12.0.0 build 4184-46)

I have a Roku Ultra, and recently removed two apps/channels I don't need anymore.  A "Live TV" tile then appeared in it's place and I cannot remove it.  Specifically, I can use "*" to get the option to remove it, but then it appears to re-install itself.  I've seen a couple of articles within the community that appeared to work for other folks, but simply "removing it" isn't working and I don't see a menu option.

As I was typing this, I did manage to remove it (color me surprised), but upon restarting the Roku device, it came back.  Would love to find a way to get this removed permanently.

Also, this appears to be some kind of new app (I'm guessing), if I disable all updates on the Roku will things like this stop spontaneously appearing?

66 REPLIES 66
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remove "Live TV" tile from a Roku Ultra (v12.0.0 build 4184-46)

@djkdlhsfjk4489 

The "LiveTV on the Roku Channel" tile icon is basically a shortcut so users do not have to launch the Roku Channel first in order to get to the LiveTV.  Of course, with the Home Screen menu on the left side, the "LiveTV" menu item (if enabled to show on Home Screen) will perform a similar function.

This tile icon has been around since OS10 or 11, I believe.  I have had it on my devices for awhile.

If using the * button is not working for you to permanently remove this icon, then try performing a Search from the Home Screen for "Roku".  Locate the "LiveTV on the Roku Channel" tile icon from the Search Results, and select "Remove" from this menu.

Then try performing a System Restart and see if it returns.

----

I just removed mine with the * button and it stayed removed after a System Restart. Same build as you mentioned on an Ultra 4660x.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Simon_Templar
Roku Guru

Unable to Remove "Live TV" Shortcut on Streaming Stick+

This issue seems similar to my experience on my Roku Streaming Stick+.

Issue:

The "Live TV" shortcut appeared on the Home screen of my Roku Streaming Stick+ and I'm unable to remove it.

History:

When I last used my Roku player, two days ago, the "Live TV" shortcut was not on my Home screen.  Yesterday, it appeared for the first time ever.  I did not select or add this shortcut.

Steps Taken #1:

1. Highlighted the "Live TV" shortcut
  2. Pressed star (*) button
  3. Selected "Remove channel"
  4. The "Live TV" shortcut remained on Home screen
  5. Restarted Streaming Stick+
  6. The "Live TV" shortcut remained on Home screen

Steps Taken #2:

1. Went into "Streaming Channels"
  2. Added "Live TV on The Roku Channel"
  3. Went to Home screen
  4. Highlighted "Live TV on The Roku Channel"
  5. Pressed star (*) button
  6. Selected "Remove channel"
  7. The channel was removed successfully

Note:

• In the first set of steps taken, "Live TV" is a shortcut.  In the second set of steps taken, "Live TV on The Roku Channel" is an actual channel.  This is just to clarify the difference in the two, since they both have "Live TV" in their name.

My Configuration:

• Roku Streaming Stick+ (Model 3810X)
  • Software Version 12.0.0, Build 4184-50
  • Last Software Update: May 20, 2023
  • "Live TV" Shortcut: Version 8.4, Build 31
  • "Live TV on The Roku Channel": Version 6.5, Build 5

Video and Images:

Any suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no "Live TV" or" Live TV Tile" in the search. No result. Not sure what good taking that step would do, when there is no such animal.

BTW, It's version 8.4, Build 31 that cannot be removed.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Anonymous 

There is no "Live TV" or" Live TV Tile" in the search. No result. Not sure what good taking that step would do, when there is no such animal.

When performing a Search for "Roku", you should see the  "LiveTV on the Roku Channel" available in the Results under the Channels category. (image provided below).  This is the LiveTV on the Roku Channel  tile icon for the Home Screen on Roku devices, version 6.5 build 5.

----

BTW, It's version 8.4, Build 31 that cannot be removed.

I have the same OS build referenced by others in this thread on an Ultra 4660 and am not seeing another LiveTV shortcut version 8.4, build 31.  This may be another case of Roku testing out features on select users' devices. (could also explain why it cannot be removed).

Are you able to post a screenshot what your shortcut looks like?

-----

Click on image to enlarge.  

RokuLiveTV_tile65.png

0 Kudos
Simon_Templar
Roku Guru

RE: Unable to Remove "Live TV" Shortcut on Streaming Stick+

In my above comment, I added a Dropbox link that contains a video of the issue and two images.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvsGunnar

BTW, this is on both the Premiere+ and the Ultra LT... both. Same results for both.... can't remove. This is NOT the purple tile for the Roku Channel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9pxgeq73doohml/20230623_032421.jpg?dl=0

Not sure how to make it show up as a pic. But you should be able to see the link to the tile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Live TV" hidden"Live TV" hiddenNotice the title of this tile...Notice the title of this tile...Live TV Tile - Won't Go Away!Live TV Tile - Won't Go Away!Notice the bottom of the tile above it? This is on the right hand side, amongst all the other tiles, not separate. I want this gone. Sounds like others want it as well. It will serve no use with me. When pressed, it goes to the Roku Channel, like the Purple one does. I loaded and uninstalled the purple one, which did not get rid of the white-outlined and transparent one above. The title on the upper left is "Live TV Tile". This matches Simon's picture on Dropbox. Showed up a week ago or so.

I did a factory reset on my Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810RW and it still came back.

AvsGunnar

Thanks for posting the pics, now understanding what you are seeing.

Generally, those shortcuts are enabled/disabled under Settings/Home Screen/Shortcuts.

Some of the other available shortcuts are "Add Channels", "TV Off", "Sleep Timer" (RokuTVs only)

------

I have looked on my other devices and do not see this shortcut available.  If you cannot disable this shortcut via the Settings/Home Screen/Shortcuts path on the Roku device, then likely this is a feature that is being tested on your device by the Roku products team.

Seems a bit redundant to have all these different methods to get to LiveTV on the devices.  If this is indeed a test feature, I doubt it will be positively received by users.  Roku is really starting to clutter up the clean Home Screen it was once known for.