Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crazylady
Reel Rookie

Recording to a DVD recorder

Jump to solution

To begin with I am "old school". 

What I want to do is record something/a show that is on a channel I access thru Roku onto a DVD Recorder (not cloud recording). I want to record in onto a DVD.

I have a smart TV but NOT a Roku TV - I have a Roku Express 39000X attached to the TV.

The recorder is hooked up to my TV.

Is it possible to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Recording to a DVD recorder

Jump to solution

It's not really possible and in the age of "on-demand" you shouldn't need to.  Keep in mind that your 3900 only has a digital output (HDMI) and your DVD recorder only has analog inputs (RCA/composite video; those Red/White/Yellow connectors).  Any solution, which may not work due to copy protection, would require an HDMI-to-RCA converter between the Roku and the DVD recorder.  You'd then be watching the Roku through the DVD recorder and the results may not be acceptable visually (i.e., not HD).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
renojim

Jump to solution

It's not really possible and in the age of "on-demand" you shouldn't need to.  Keep in mind that your 3900 only has a digital output (HDMI) and your DVD recorder only has analog inputs (RCA/composite video; those Red/White/Yellow connectors).  Any solution, which may not work due to copy protection, would require an HDMI-to-RCA converter between the Roku and the DVD recorder.  You'd then be watching the Roku through the DVD recorder and the results may not be acceptable visually (i.e., not HD).

I am not a Roku employee.
Crazylady
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah - the more and more I thought about it I didn't think it was possible.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
TheBatGirl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

watch roku thru your laptop/desktop (go thru browser via their website) that has s-video or RCA output (this means none of these 'newer' **bleep** computers) connected to your dvd+r machine and pause the recorder during the noxious commercials and resume recording after they're done spewing.

Clouds and streaming companies come and go so this stuff CAN disappear and are NOT always 'available' as they're propagandizing to steal your ability to enjoy whenever something you freaking paid for - they're thieves posing as 'latest and greatest'... which THEY ARE NOT. Better just do digital cable or satellite.

0 Kudos
TheBatGirl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

use a LINUX machine, not one using apple, microsoft, etc for this... work easily with my Ubuntu 22.04LTS-64bit rig 😉

manikinxvx

Jump to solution

@TheBatGirlwhat software do you use on you Linux machine to do the recording?

0 Kudos
FBCRLK

Jump to solution

There are several excellent screen recorders. The one I've had the best results with on Debian 12 is vokoscreen-ng. Experiment for yourself is the best option. Results vary depending on your hardware and distribution.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

You cannot get your Roku to display on any sort of computer unless it has a video capture card that supports DHCP. That's simply not something generally found on any computer, and would likely be very expensive. Especially a laptop, which is highly unlikely to have a video capture card. 

You could of course capture playback of The Roku Channel, since that's available via a web site. But there simply is no practical way to capture the HDMI output of a Roku player to a recording device. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos