Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jbmcfly
Reel Rookie

Random accounts logged in to streaming channels that aren’t me

first off I own multiple roku devices. I just recently bought the new 4k stick on sale at bestbuy. After setting up and logging in to all of my streaming channels, for some reason roku logs in other peoples accounts IE Disney plus, Hulu, Netflix. It’s like it someone else account and login credentials. I returned that roku thinking maybe someone bought and returned it with out wiping the device. Same issue on the new device with the same person profile logged in to these channels. Has anyone ever seen or heard this before. It’s wild and not sure how to go about fixing this.  

44 REPLIES 44
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Random accounts logged in to streaming channels that aren’t me

It sounds like the account that you are logging into has been compromised or actually belongs to someone else.  Login to that account on a computer and see what devices are linked to that account.  You said you have multiple devices, if they are all linked to the same account any channel on one device will appear on all of your devices.

0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Do you have other Rokus in your home or that you've given to somebody (that you did not factory reset) that someone could have signed into those channels/apps). Because I think your sign in info for some Roku Channels/Apps sync to your Roku account so that when you set up a new Roku with your Roku account, you're automatically signed into those apps/channels.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

OR ...

Your new Roku may be one that somebody had set up and linked to an account but then returned to the store without doing a Factory reset to clear out its settings.  If so, once you got it connected to your home network, it connected directly to this pre-configured Roku account instead of yours.

Settings > System > Account will show you the email address of the Roku account to which the Roku is linked.  If this email address is not yours, this Roku is linked to someone else's account.  To link to your own account, perform a Factory reset via Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset. This will clear out the unit's memory and you'll then have to set it up again as though it were a new unit right out of the box.  In the process link it to your normal Roku account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jbmcfly
Reel Rookie

It’s under my email address. I have (2) other  TCL roku tvs Under the same email in the house no issues. What is weird is I exchange the 1st 4K stick for the exact same one at Best Buy and still the same accounts pull up on this Roku as far as the account I have no Idea who it is. Also I am noticing that once I login to an app like Paramount plus, randomly it will just log me out I don’t have to re-login. 

i’m starting to think that maybe Roku accidentally shares your account information with other Roku devices, I will log into my HBO or Netflix or prime app and noticed that they continue watching shows or movies are not something that I watch or ever have watched. maybe this is a conspiracy theory lol. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jbmcfly

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? When you access a channel, you notice that there is already an account signed into the channel that's not yours?

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Clister17

I came here looking for any answers to this too and my brand new Roku is also doing this on certain apps. For example, last night I opened Disney+ for the first time, and there was an entirely random family’s account that was already logged in… not sure what to make of it but i find it rather creepy and not cool at all…

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Clister17,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help.

When you go into the account settings of your Roku device through Settings > System > About, are you using the same email that is shown?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kelz22
Reel Rookie

Same thing happened to me which led my to this thread. There is a security issue. I've had my device for 6 years and nobody has my information and I live alone. Random Disney account had logged in. I also have Disney+.

I’m having the same issue. Was watching YouTube on my Roku logged in to my account and suddenly a random persons account logged in while I was watching.

0 Kudos