Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kieran449
Level 9

Re: ROKU Express Xfinity Stream Beta APP HD channels revert to STD channels. Why?

Jump to solution

This problem with the Xfinity app and Roku is not an isolated incident. Just search the internet and this forum. It occurs randomly. More often than not. Yes, we have re-started the device, reinstalled the app, check for updates, we have done all of that. Clearly it is not a just "user problem". I have 4 ROKU devices, including a TV. All of them have the same issue, but not always at the same time. I am up to date with XFINITY and I pay for HD service.

Pushing the blame on the Channel Developer is not enough. I expect ROKU to monitor and enforce apps from other Channel Developers, and ensure that the apps stand up and meet a set of standards for ROKU.

Telling a ROKU user to go to the developer to fix a problem with your product is like telling them to buy a Fire stick or buy a Google Chrome Stick to fix the problem. Which is probably what some people are doing already.

I assume that the ROKU company has more clout that a regular Roku user to resolve this problem.

Fix the problem.

Kieran449
Level 9

Re: ROKU Express Xfinity Stream Beta APP HD channels revert to STD channels. Why?

Jump to solution

My router is 20 feet away from 3 of my ROKU devices. I have excellent signal strength at 1GB/second speed.  None of my devices have any issues on anything due to signal strength (Samsung Android phones, Raspberry Pi, desktop wifi, laptop, Smart TVs, media player, ipad). Just the ROKU has an issue.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Kieran449 wrote:  None of my devices have any issues on anything due to signal strength (Samsung Android phones, Raspberry Pi, desktop wifi, laptop, Smart TVs, media player, ipad). Just the ROKU has an issue.

It doesn't matter how other devices work with a provider such as Comcast. Roku doesn't develop the channel, Comcast does. And an app on a Roku is written in a completely different programming language than apps on any other platform. An app can work perfectly on one platform, and terrible on another. It's not the problem of the platform provider. 

Roku has zero power over Comcast to make them build a better channel. All they could do is to refuse to allow the channel, and that wouldn't go over well with Comcast users. 

After all these years, I would expect Comcast to release something that isn't labeled as "beta". They have no real drive to improve the channel, as they would rather rent you one of their boxes instead. There's no income for Comcast providing a channel on Roku devices. I'm a little surprised they even do. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jrasto11
Level 7

Jump to solution

It has been more than a month since a COMCAST tech visited my home and resolved a low signal strength issue to my modem/router.  Since this fix was implemented, I have experienced zero issues with my Beta Xfinity Streaming App performance.  It is working well once more.  I am hoping that the good times continue!

0 Kudos
Harley5775
Level 8

Jump to solution

On 10/9 I reached out to the comcast agents that monitor reddit and started a private chat. Being at wits end that no HD channels are showing, even intermittently, I conceded and uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my Roku. Still no HD channels. Since both Rokus are somehow tied together in my Roku portal, the app was refreshed on both. The next morning I was informed that our second Roku was no longer logged in (because of my actions the day before). I logged in, authenticated the device and the HD channels were back. I checked the other device and the HD channels were back there too. And have been solid since. I cannot attribute the positive change to any action. Comcast does admit they have problems with their Roku version of their app with no ETR. I will keep my fingers crossed that the HD channels continue to work ....

Kieran449
Level 9

Jump to solution

ROKUS tied together. What's up with that? I reinstalled the XFINITY a 2nd time and noticed 3 out of 4 ROKUS acted the same when uninstalling the APP and re-installing the APP. I just wanted the current ROKU in the basement worked on. 

The HD is finally back, for now. Xfinity's virtual assistant does nothing.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

All Roku devices linked to the same user account will have identical channels installed. Remove a channel from one, it's removed from all. Add a channel to one, they all get it. Roku has always worked that way. When a channel is removed, the Roku must be rebooted before adding it back. If you have multiple devices, they should all be rebooted before adding it back to the first device.

Dan

Kieran449
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks.

I guess if I have small children come over to watch the TV, I'll have to have Child Safe ROKU account separate from my account or something like that. Any tutorials on that?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Kieran449 wrote:

I guess if I have small children come over to watch the TV, I'll have to have Child Safe ROKU account separate from my account or something like that. Any tutorials on that?

Not really. All you need to create a different Roku user account is a different email address. Just be aware there's no way to switch the Roku between accounts. The only way to change the account being used is to do a factory reset and set the device up from scratch. Of course, any channels linked to a particular user account will automatically be installed on a newly linked device. But anything that requires authentication will require entering the info again.

Dan

0 Kudos